Thursday, March 09, 2006

These guys were so fun to knit! Everyone who saw me making them loved 'em. And it was a perfect project for this Cherry Tree Hill Potluck in bright greens and blues.

I lengthened the Bronto's body a little to make him loooong. He looks a little like a T Rex in the photo, but I promise he's very long and bronto like. My husband added the trees for effect (see, they are so cute, even he had to get in on the dino action - and he usually ignores all the knitting going on over here unless it involves him...)

Speaking of involving him though, anyone who read my blog in the summer knew about the sweater I knit for him - and re knit and had non matching yarn for and then reknit again and so on and so on... Anyways, when it was all done, it was OK. Not great but OK. The sleeves were a little weirdly wide - since I had to shorten em and couldn't make enough decreases off the raglan arms.. The middle had a stripe of off color yarn which kind of bugged me. And it was long. Way long. Like below the zipper long - like we wore in the 80s with leggings. It didn't really bug him (or so he said) but when the seemingly fashion oblivious scientist husband (the man wears suspenders!!) of a friend of mine mentioned it, I figured it was way too embarassing for him to continue wearing it around in public.

So I cut and frogged and reknit a new border. And he put it on - so happy, so optimistic - until he realized we went from 80s long to 80s cropped. Really cropped. He tells me he always wanted a midriff bearing sweater, but I'm not convinced it's a good idea. Especially if I have to claim husband ownership when he sports it around town.

So, the next project. Rowan Cork. I have the 10 skeins, frogged off the cabled cardigan. And I have the pattern book. And he likes Cal. Cal looks pretty easy and flattering. Big ribs, roll neck, garter sleeves. I'm off. Will warn you ahead of time - probably no pics. Black yarn doesn't take good pics. I'll try to do something fun and colorful on the side so you aren't too bored.

And fellow knitsmiths - won't be there this week, but will next. Am clearing stuff out again - a few things for whoever claims 'em first. so much easier to bring to knitting than to post and mail all over creation...

My aunt in London was sweet enough to dig up (someplace) a Kaffe Fasset book - the sweater designs are pretty 80s themselves, but the actual intarsia patterns might do one of you some good - they are kind of cool, flowers, zigzags, all kinds of stuff. It's a hardback and I can't remember the name (it's upstairs). If you really care, let me know and I'll check. Could give someone some good ideas?

Have a bag of Debbie Bliss Cotton squares in various colors. My Mom began an afghan and doesn't want it. I frogged many and made bags of matching skeins but have these left. Anyone want Debbie Bliss cotton orphans? Let me know and I'll bring it on next Sunday (18). Lots of colors - red, white, various blues, brown, orange, pink, navy, purple, olive green maybe...

Also have a cone of a nice colored red cotton. Pretty thin - thicker than laceweight, but not something I want to tackle. I wound a few skeins on my nifty ball winder, but most of it is still on the cone. There's lots. I'll bring it if someone wants, if not, I'll save it for swaptime!