Wednesday, May 31, 2006

while I was gone...

Seems Maya likes her tank top now and has been wearing it around. Bad photo, but you get the idea. Might have something to do with the necklaces and bracelets she decided match just PERFECTLY. Guess she just needed a little bling to complete the look.... J. Lo would be proud. After this photo, we also took some leftover pink ribbon yarn and also added some simple embroidery stripes along the neck and bottom. Now she's got accesories and a little extra bling on the sweater itself. Do I have a photo of that? Of course not. Take my word.

Also, finishedanother halter style top for little Gracie, our buddy. It's really just a variation on the theme I used for Maya's above tank. Personally, I like this new version better and since I have a lot more of the DK in pinks and purples, I see another one coming for Maya pretty soon. Maybe matching ones for both of my girls? The stripes just seem to add something that the orange one above doesn't have. And the little ties make it a guaranteed fit. Just as Maya guessed, it needed a little something anyways. Some pizzaz. Some color. Some stripes. (Apparently my scalloped edges are blowin' in the wind here .)

And lastly, my vacation project. I was gone from Weds night to Monday afternoon. Got a lot of knitting done on the plane, various trains and car trips, and in a few pubs. SubwayKnitter would be proud.

One of my buddies took a digital of me hard at work in an old old pub with my pint, but I don't have it to post. She'll send it to me eventually.

So... all around London and the surrounding area we went, my Cambridge Cardigan and I.

We also visited the Cotswolds and saw some beautiful towns. Gotta say, I was surprised. NEVER saw another knitter. NEVER saw a knitting store!! Even in the Cotswolds - sheep everywhere, not a skein to be found. Where were all those British knitters? I asked around in a few wool stores (that featured completed wool items) and a craft store or two.

Did find a store in Harpenden (the town my friend lived in) called Threads or Stitches or something like that. They had a back corner with a few skeins of Rowan, some books, and a supply of needles. They really seemed to specialize in gift items and ceramics. That was the closest we got.

We talked about heading over to Islington to visit Loop, but since it was the only thing we wanted to see over there, we nixed the idea. Wow. I was surprised. Guess I'm spoiled. Knitting stores in every town around me - Cambridge, Arlington, Lexington, Belmont, Winchester. How many in downtown Boston that I know of? 3? Brookline, Needham, Portsmouth... I could go on. And on. And we don't have HALF as many sheep as they do!

But honestly, I wasn't over there to see knitting stores, I was there to see England! And see it I did. Walked all over the city. Went to Portobello Road. Saw a show in the theatre. We had a great time - ate lots of yummy stuff - scones, crumpets, Indian Food, fish and chips. Saw lots - the city, the towns and the Cotswolds. And enjoyed a few pints. A few. My waistband says MORE than a few....

And just look at what I managed to get done! It's the Interweave Knits Cambridge Cardigan in Cascade 220. The color here looks nasty, but it's a deep slate bluish green with hints of purple in it. Go back a post or two and you'll see.

OK, should pay more attention to the two toddlers in my care this morning. Hope those of you who went to the Fiber Fest had a great time -


Jofrog said...

Welcome home! It seems like you had a fabulous time! Hope to see you Sunday if you can get away again!


Rain said...

Both tanks are lovely. I especially like the one with the stripes.

English knitters are a secret society working from underground bunkers. Or it could just be that yarn shops are few and far between.

Areli said...

Both of your tanks are so cute. I like the plain one, the scallped edge just makes it special :-)

colleen said...

She is proud! *sniff*

Norah said...

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a good time (and got a lot done)! Sorry you couldn't find any yarn shops--the woeful lack of UK yarn shops is a running theme on Brenda Dayne's podcast

Norah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nit One Perl Two said...

I am so happy I found your site. It appears we have more in common than knitting! I'll let you know when I complete the "world renound" triple lindee patern. It will be soon!