Sunday, June 04, 2006

I had been wondering what to call this post and then I read Monica's latest on TwoLeftNeedles. How true.

I have been diligently knitting away, going through the stash. You've been watching. You know. I only fell off the wagon to buy books! I even managed to get my entire stash to fit inside one fisherman's trunk - with room to spare. No more shopping bags full and strays lying about around the room.

In fact, I have a few things on the needles too. Slippers for Grandma, Socks for Grandma, another tank for Maya, a scarf for a friend, and the Cambridge Cardigan. All chipping away at the stash.

And then I went to the Wild and Wooly Sale. Oh well. In just minutes, I have two big new bags. And $200 on my MasterCard. And Grandma's new sock yarn and a happy face measuring tape that Zoe absolutely was not going to leave without. (sucker)

And the trunk won't exactly close anymore. In my defense, both bags are destinged to be absolutely fabulous sweaters this fall. The kind of sweaters that basically anchor your fall wardrobe and make people stop and stare. Fashion statements. Never mind that I have no patterns in mind yet. We'll get there later. Am open to ideas.....

So here's what I got. A bag of each, enough yardage for substantial sweater like garments:

Wow, my digital camera sucks. It's around 10 years old. Hand me down from my Mom, so my complaints are kind of moot. I'm too cheap to buy a good one. At least you can see the colors.

The top skein is a big chunky Rowan Tweed. I loved the brick red with bright orange and blue and green flecks. It won't need cables or anything since the yarn is so cool, will knit up in no time on 10.5s. Am imagining some kind of chunky cardigan? What won't add 50lbs if knit in chunky yarn? A deep V? A belted wrap? A question I might have thought of IN the yarn store....

The second is Classic Elite Renaissance, and I have been wanting to do someting in a variegated apricot, so voila! I might try and turn this into Starsky from KNitty. A shawl collared, belted, cabled number. Also love the way they make it into yarn challah. A big fat braid o wool. I made a hat out of this earlier in the year and really liked the light soft feel of the yarn - should have a nice drape to it...

It could have been worse. I really also want to make something in apple green. But the apple green bags there didn't have enough for a whole sweater. So really, I SAVED money, didn't I?

So anyways, no pics of actual projects today. Plugging away on Cambridge, about a half a sock into Grandma's. Stay tuned for all the rest. Missing KS as I type. Went to the gym instead (oh yeah, and LONDON. The husband is all babysitted out and deserves a rest....)


Reese said...

Ahhh the W&W sale! Is it still going on? I never hear about these things until they're over. I'm going to try to get out there sometime this week, but they close so darned early!

colleen said...

Oooh, but they're both GREAT colorways. I'm not going to make it to the W&W sale this year. Thank you for going for me :-).