Tuesday, March 20, 2007

And none of them match, but they're all really beautiful. I'm going with a few projects at once all the sudden, seems I'm still not very committed to any one thing. Indecision matches the weather around here. Not exactly winter (if you ignore the snow) and not exactly spring (although it's going to be 50 degrees out). I sent Maya to school in snowboots and a light jacket. Really, if Mother Nature can't decide on a season, why should I have to decide on a project?

So, this first photo is my debut in lace. I've done a bit of yarnovers as part of other projects, but no actual "meant to be lace" patterns yet. I"m feeling like I've mastered cable patterns this winter between Starsky and Arwen, so a lace pattern should be the same kind of thing - without the extra needle. right?



The yarn came from my Mom's big stashout. It's Koigu, and the colors are really amazing. Deeper than in this photo, with lots of mustards and blues and burgundy. The pattern is the split leaf from IK's little scarf insert this fall. So far, it's going well - but definitely not kid and playground knitting. My fabulous magnet chart reader is coming in handy - and after a few repeats, I am getting the rythym, so it could get outside yet. (when the snow melts again....)

In the meantime, for knitting around the kids -- A raglan with no actual thought required. This is Zoe's latest commission. Blue and yellow, with ladybugs, as directed. Ostensibly to match the hat, but we're not exactly going that way. I got the variegated blue yarn at the recent Knitsmiths swap - it's a Lorna's Worsted. The yellow is the same cone from the "matching" hat, and the red is also from the hat - a Peace Fleece. There's a lot going on here, and she's chosen giant yellow and blue floral buttons, so I'm going to go easy on the bugs. Maybe just a couple. (I have changed the pattern to make them round assed this time)

And lastly, a sideways photo of some mystery alpaca esque laceweight I gave Dani ages ago. I didn't even expect to get any of it back, so this was a great surprise! She's dyed it a beautiful purple and lavender colorway. She had some concerns about the durability and strength of the fibers, but I'm thinking it might be lace scarf #2 if I make it through the Koigu number and want more lacy goodness. I have been eyeing Branching Out, and have been told it's a great beginner lace project. (so why am I doing Split Leaf first and Branching Out second?)

yeah, too lazy to flip the photo.

For anyone following my Sublime yarn saga, Arwen is on her way to Sublime Corporate for a review. I dropped it off yesterday at Wild and Wooly -- along with my receipt and a short letter. Jackie called me this weekend and asked me to bring it over, it seems they are concerned enought to want to see it themselves. Stay tuned...

3 comments:

Norah said...

I'm following the Sublime saga--and hoping you get some resolution!

Gayle said...

Way to go on the Sublime situation - you may just have been the first person to have the chutzpah to complain about how it knit up.

Colleen said...

I need to use "chutzpah" more often in conversation...

How do you like lace?