Tuesday, May 15, 2007

to the New Hampshire Sheep and Wool Festival for Mother's Day. I'd never been to one of these before, so I wasn't sure if they'd even like it, but it was great. A beautiful day and activities for all. No rides and no toys to win (unless you count the yarn....), which was a great break from our usual type of summer fair.
Lots of kids and their sheep and llamas on display. Maya wants one now, but we've shut her down. A sheep in our house would not exactly be a good thing... But it was great to see all the 4H type kids with their animals - the alpaca obstacle course was a favorite. Below are some highlights of the day...
Maya spoke up during a shearing demonstration and ended up part of the show.
This guy was great. He had them "spin" a little of the fiber right off the sheep. The sheep, which by the way, he sheared in about 2 minutes flat.
We all had soft serve ice cream. Who knew it came in blue?


I think Maya's caught the bug. Is she actually smelling the yarn here? I think so. Actually, it's fiber. She saw a needle felting demonstration and is dying to try it, so we bought a little bag of mixed colors of roving and a couple of needles for her.


In my hand is some gorgeous silk alpaca that's going to be a manly scarf for Craig (see, even he managed to enjoy himself....) I managed to control myself pretty well. I bought the scarf yarn and another big skein of handdyed merino in the most gorgeous colors. More to follow on that later. In the meantime, i just might drag my family to another festival soon.....

3 comments:

Jofrog said...

What fun! Sounds like you guys had a great time.

gabriella said...

thea - the way i know about these yarn resources is as follows: boredom at work + internet access = wallet emptying. but yes, do check out posh - they also sell other weights of yarn and all of them look fantabulous.

so envious you got to NH Sheep & Wool - looks like everyone had a great time :) can't wait to see what you picked up! ~gabriella :)

Carol said...

Just saw Gabriella's post - Is she talking about Posh Yarns in the UK? I have some Beatrice and sock yarns that you can look at. They are lovely!!
I thought my kids might be too young for Sheep&Wool this year. Maybe next?
I have my Juno yarn too. Are you swatching? I just need to check if I have the right size needles...