Monday, September 17, 2007

My first pattern.


Introducing Babycables and Buttons.

Something easy, yet impressive enough that the non-knitting Moms on the playground might just be wowed at your knitting prowess. It's a combo of my favorite things - variegated yarn, cables without the cable needle and buttons. I dropped the sample hat and patterns off this morning at the Knitting Room.

I'm working on getting the pattern up here so anyone who doesn't live here and wants to can make one too. However, even though I've managed to download a new program and saved the file as a PDF, I'm still a little lost on getting said PDF linked on Blogger, so bear with me and check back over the next few days!
(Text version below)

And hey, it's free!

I went back and forth on the decision, since I had a knitting store already willing to pay me per copy, but in the end, I decided to just put it out there for the taking. First off, it's my debut pattern, and who am I to go asking all of you for cash, right? And second, I really couldn't resist the urge to throw it out on the web and hope it gets knit up by as many of you as might want to (so I can see the pictures!). Much as I love my LYS, I know the foot traffic can't hold a candle to the blog, the knitsmiths, knitty and ravelry combined. I'll get rich later on maybe.

So, I hope you like it - check back soon and the PDF pattern will appear, I promise! In the meantime, see what buttons are floating around your house that you've been waiting to use....
or use the not so fancy text version of pattern below
----------------------------------------------

Babycables & Buttons

This hat was a way for me to use up some of my giant collection of buttons and knit up something cute and fast for my daughter. I wanted a pattern simple enough to work on while the kids were playing, but interesting so the finished hat would be funky and impressive enough to stand out on the playground!
Hope you enjoy it.

Yarn - Hacho Merino (Sapphire Jade pictured above) One skein (137 yds)

Needles - US 6s – one pair of 16” circs and one set of DPNs

Notions – two buttons, darning needle, marker, needle & thread for sewing on the buttons
Sizing:
Large (16” head) - 2-3yr old
Medium (14” head) - 1-2 yr old
Small (12” head) – baby

Gauge - 6sts per inch in 2x2 ribbing, unblocked and lying flat

Directions:
Using your circular needle cast on 92 (84, 76) stitches.
Work one row of K2, P2 ribbing and join, being careful not to twist. Continue in K2, P2 ribbing for 1”.
On the next row, begin the babycables pattern below.

Row 1 – * P2, K2tog, leave on left needle and knit into the first stitch again, then slip both sts off, P2* repeat
Rows 2 & 3 - K2, P2, K2, P2

Continue until you are 5 1/2” (5, 5) from cast on edge and end with Row 1 of the cable pattern. If you’d like a longer hat, keep going a little bit more. The remainder of the hat will be decreases in simple ribbing for a few rows, followed by decreases in stocking stitch. Switch to DPNs when you need to.

Top Shaping
Row 1 –* K2, P2, K2, P2tog*, repeat
Row 2 – *K2, P2tog, K2, p1*, repeat
Row 3 – *K2, p1, K2tog, p1*, repeat
Row 4 – *K2tog, p1, k1, p1*, repeat
Row 5 –* k1, p1, k1, p1*, repeat
Row 6 –*K2tog, k1, p1*, repeat
Row 7 – *K2tog, k1*, repeat
Repeat row 7 until you have less than 10 stitches.
Break yarn, leaving a tail. Using darning needle, thread tail through the remaining loops on your needles and pull gently to close the hole. Weave in end.

Button Band
Using 2 DPNs, create a flat i-cord, between 4 and 7 stitches wide. The sample hat has a 7 stitch i-cord, as the flower buttons are 1”. You may want to do a few sample rows of i-cord and place your button on it to check what width works.

I-cord - Cast on desired number of stitches. Leave a tail for sewing onto the hat. Knit one row. Do not flip work, but take working yarn from left and move back to the beginning behind the work. Knit next row (with working yarn you’ve moved) beginning with the farthest right stitch. Repeat.

Continue until you have a 6” (5, 5) band. Cast off, leaving a tail for sewing onto the hat.

The cords are intended to go across the forehead, ending and beginning at the hairline. They will stretch when the hat is worn, and will hang when the hat is not on. Stretch the hat or put it on the intended “wearer” when positioning the cord, so you can mark where the ends need to be. Position the band 1.5” up from the cast on edge. (or where you like it!) Sew each end onto hat.

Sew buttons onto band, a quarter inch from the ends. (If they are heavy, you’ll need a couple reinforcement stitches straight to the hat as well)

Weave in ends. You’re done!

Thanks for making my pattern! If you’re online, email me a photo of your finished hat – I’d love to see it! theacolman@yahoo.com If you have any questions or problems with the pattern, send me a comment on my blog: http://babycocktails.blogspot.com/.

Pattern and images: copyright 2007 Thea Colman. For personal use only. Not for resale.


3 comments:

Hanane said...

THEA! It is beautiful! I can't wait for the pattern I have to knit it! and honestly I never could figure out how to put a downloadable on blogger. That is why my patterns are stored at wordpress. It was easier. I like blogger format but adding a download is a tricky one. Maybe someone in the blogging world will stumble upon us and enlighten us.

Amber said...

I LOVE it :)

Great job!

Carol said...

Is this the Mirasol yarn? I have a dk yarn that might work as a substitute. Guess I'll have to swatch!