Thursday, October 25, 2007

Yep, that's where I've been. Not knit picking, like all of you at Rhinebeck (lucky ones...), but nit picking. Becomes very clear why it's an appropriate phrase for "crazy making attention to detail". I think they're all gone now, but shit, that's one ginormus pain in the ass. (Chews into the knitting time too - have you seen Maya's head of hair? it takes TWO hours.... )

Got a call from Zoe's school on Monday morning and been nuts ever since. I'll spare you the details, but lets just say my environmental footprint has grown a bit this week. I don't think the dryer and washing machine rested for 3 days straight. All said and done I'm considering myself lucky because although I know the lice were there (someone laid the nits) I never saw one.

So, am I done with the icky animals now? First the mice and then, eeew, the lice. Also, last week, there was a possum in our garbage can that loved the box of liquor filled chocolate in there so much he spent the day hanging out and tossing back boozy bon bons. (Maya does a good Drunken Possum impersonation) Then he took a big shit and apparently grossed himself out enough to leave the can. We tossed the lid on the thing and dragged it to the curb with a note for the garbage men to take it.

On a brighter note, the same universe sending me nasty animals also sent me a cool magazine.

Seems someone in the marketing dept has their potential target audience right! This little surprise arrived in the mail a few days back. It's a preview issue for a new magazine.

A magazine full of cocktail recipes and anything liquid!
Will give this old fashioned a shot tonight - it seems like a good rainy day drink.

And for anyone wondering if there's real yarn in my house this week, there is. (the aforementioned Good Knit ) I'm completely distracted by this scarf. It began as an Obi, from Veronik Avery's new book, but soon frogged out. Obi's gorgeous, but I think it really needs the right yarn - something subtly vareigated. Probably the one thing I don't have in my stash. (must go fix that problem soon)

So, Obi's on hold, and this Cascade 220 Heathers is knitting up into a Split Leaf scarf. I love it so much I can't put it down. Everything else has taken a back seat, and I'm about 1.25 into a 3 skein scarf. This is a bad, bad photo for color, but you can see the texture.

Such a fun little pattern! Not sure if I'll block it or leave it bumpy. We'll see.
When it stops raining I'll take a better shot -

I'm off to take the last hundred stuffed animals out of the dryer.


cassie said...

yuck!! Sorry about your infestation! Just hanging out in concord...had to do some blog catch up.

colleen said...


But the scarf looks great, and a whole mag dedicated to cocktails sounds as if it's right up your alley.

Sarah Jackson said...

oh, you poor thing. Just keep a close eye on it. In our house, the mayonnaise treatment followed by daily combing for about a week has done the trick.

I love love love that scarf. You're using my very favorite color. Is it from the Veronik Avery book too?

Carol said...

The scarf is even better in person. Don't remember you showing me the cocktail book but then we had better things to talk about!

Sarah-Hope said...

I am so laughing at your misery... but in a nice, supportive kind of way. Drunken possum! Once upon a time, after hearing scratching noises late at night for several nights, discovered a possum living on my sweatshirt shelf in the closet. Ack!

Knitting Bandit said...

I have been oddly attracted to scarfs in the past couple weeks (must be the chilly neck) and I think yours could easliy go tot the top of my queu. Very cool.
I just watched a South Park episode last night (not by choice) featuring lice. Cute little critters!

Corwink said...

OK the possum story was too damn funny. In fact I nearly spit my coffee all over the screen laughing as I read it. I love the scarf and the color....ooohhh I am drooling. I hope you enjoyed your "Old Fashioned" drink. Sounds like you needed it after all that has been going on.

Batty said...

Oooh, that drink recipe looks good! And Drunken Possum would be a fabulous band name.