Monday, July 21, 2008


for a witty title

So here's my other vacation project, finally finished up and ready to wear (if only it wasn't 95 degrees out). I'm extra excited to have found a visible garment to make out of my sock yarns - really, why do I want to hide $25 worth of gorgeous yarn in my boots? My whole sock yarn stash was in limbo.



Until now. Opera length, smocked gloves out of Jitterbug Colinette. Truth be told, I did wear them around for a bit this afternoon - heat wave or no, they're looking sweet with the flip flops.
I took the basic glove recipe from my new favorite book - Knitting New Mittens and Gloves by Robin Melanson - and added the smockiness and the length. Fabulous. I had also planned to add a few vintage buttons and a band around the ribbing, but it really was gilding the lily. So, knowing when to stop, I did. Can't wait to knit up another pair soon - for holiday gifts, of course. (not these babies, the next pair....)


And although it seems dear readers, that you are all off enjoying your summers, I'll assume somebody is reading here and share my two new favorite cocktails for July. Above is a Gin Collins. Vodka's good too. You get the little mix here, add some cold water and seltzer, toss in your booze of choice and some slices and you're all set. Not too sweet, not too sour. It's pretty perfect. Here I'm adding sliced apple and lime.

Below, some white wine sangria - in my new vintage wine glasses from the Wellfleet Flea Market. What you can't see in this shitty picture (it was thundering and pouring, so I took it as I had to) are the way cool iridescent bowls on the glasses - with little waves in the glass.

Don't worry, I'll use them again on a sunny day and you'll see.

Meanwhile, toss some white wine, a little apple juice, some lemon lime soda and seltzer in a pitcher. Add the lime juice if you've used too much apple or lemon lime to balance out the sweetness - and slice whatever fruit you have lying around. So tasty, and an awesome way to use all the extra stuff in the fridge up!

But right now, I've got a glass of rose going - don't turn your nose up - the pink wine has come a long way - you don't need to get it in a box or a big jug. Some good wineries are turning out some very nice bottles this year, and we've been taking advantage! (this one was Mas Sainte Berthe - a 2007 out of Provence ) But, don't be impressed, I totally got it on the recommendation of the wine guy. I know nothing about rose except I like it in summer!

Anyways, since I AM talking to myself this summer, I'll stop here. Next on the sidelines are projects for the kids - Maya's requested a brown simple hoodie and Zoe's looking for her new winter hat for next year -- the good news is that I can knit both - again - From The Stash.
yep, I'm good.

so why is there still no dent in the pile?

10 comments:

Amber said...

Hey, we're still here ;)

Those gloves are lovely, I bet some STR would look great in a pattern like that too!

As for the White Wine Sangria...yum!

Melissa said...

I love the gloves -- they're really beautiful!

Sarah Jackson said...

I'm here!

I like the pink too. Pink Truck is a refrigerator staple of mine.

I love those gloves. That is an excellent use for all of my marinating sock yarn. Tres chic!

sue said...

Gorgeous gloves. The pattern is beautiful.

Kathleen said...

I was just thinking about how I knit and knit, yet when I assess the stash, it all seems to still be there. My mother arrives tomorrow for a visit, and I'm a little leery about explaining the bins of yarn. Love the gloves and have become a little obsessed with using all my beautiful sock yarn in a more visible way, too.

CraftyCartoons said...

My wife reads your knitting blog, and she thought you'd get a kick out of my latest cartoon that I just posted on my site - this one's for all the knitters out there :)

http://CraftyCartoons.Blogspot.com

Feel free to link the cartoon on your blog to share a few laughs with your readers ;)

Oh, and be sure to submit a caption for the contest... Enjoy!
-Ryan

Carol said...

Love the gloves!!

dropstitchknitter said...

Beautiful - makes me want to knit a pair of gloves, too!

colleen said...

Gorgeous gloves--although I cannot think about wearing things like that right now.

Christy said...

Love the gloves, Can you pass on the pattern?