Friday, September 26, 2008

OK, I usually wait a few days between posts so I can get a couple comments before moving on, but this was too good not to post and since I'm away for a few days, I figure I'll chuck it in now.

But -- still waiting for someone to identify the hot dudes from my last post, so check em out.

Anyways, a great trade = you're happy to be rid of it and they're happy to have it, right?


I dropped off a stroller and a few bags of things for a charity drive yesterday - Cradles to Crayons - lots of things for babies and school age kids. It's just the stuff I've been dying to get out of the house, so I happily loaded up the car and toted it all over to the house of another parent at our school.

Turns out her Grandma was a knitter and she had a few things she's been dying to get rid of too.

How cool is this batch of vintage needles???

All those colors! And the flowered needle case thing?

There was also a big batch of crochet hooks, DPNs and various plastic thingys.

I know the donut shaped pom pom makers - but I have no idea what the other thingys are.

Anyone ever use them? They are cool looking - Do you wrap yarn around them when you do colorwork? One of them had a tangled yarn batch on it and I'm thinking that could be it.

Or these needles below? They have metal tips - I'm thinking they might have a specific job?


Anyways, it was fun to go through all of it. I also was given a big bag of yarn - but most of it was Red Heart and acrylics, so M's elementary school's getting that. There was one batch of a soft alpaca which I think I'll be knitting into a scarf or cowl on my car trip -- and giving back to the woman who gave me all this stuff - bet she'd like a little something out of Grandma's yarn.

In other knittng, I decided to pull out the Feb Lady Sweater - am past the sleeves and into the body, so I'll be able to get going on that in the car too -- that Gull pattern is addictive - I cannot put it down....

5 comments:

Amber said...

Definitely bobbins, of multiple kinds! I wonder if those are lace needles, are they extra pointy?

I love the holder :) I keep my vintage needles in a vase, so pretty!

Stephanie said...

The half donut is also a pom pom maker. And there are the bobbins, those things scare me. Such a score though!!

Carol said...

All those bobbins=crazy 1980's intarsia sweaters. What a find though. Grandma would be happy that her things are appreciated. From the looks of it, she knitted a lot too. Now I know where to go when I'm short of big dpns!

puffthemagicrabbit said...

Well, now you can never say you have nothing to knit with...

Hilary said...

Wow, some great stuff! I agree that the flat plastic thingies are bobbins. I'm not sure about the super-long needles with metal tips...