Monday, December 08, 2008

Just requires no planning. Really.

I planned on none, but somehow I manage to be churning them out. Each one is kind of a surprise. The fingerless gloves from my last post, a hat for a friend, another cowl in the works and Sheldon the Turtle all seem to be getting knit. No deadlines, no pressure. I made a hat I'm thinking of for my sister, over two Dexters. I didn't plan to make it a gift, I was just using up the yarn and doing something mindless during TV - but I'm thinking it gets put on the list.

It's almost like I didn't mean to, but the gift knitting drive kicked in on it's own. No list, no schedule. Small single skeins begging to be knit out of the stash, and the instant gratification of using them up. Maybe it's about lowering your expectations - then anything you do get done is just a bonus!

Kind of a surprise for you and the recipient, huh?

Here's one. This yarn was the leftover from a pair of lace fingerless gloves I'd made my Mom last year. She just came up to visit, so she got this matching cowl. I had no idea I was going to begin it until about two days before she arrived. And had no idea she was going to get it until about halfway through, when the project seemed to fit.

And in my bag today, another little cowl. I have a doc appt, so am hoping for a little wait. We'll see if it needs to be owned by someone once it's done. I'm thinking this is the way to go every year. Not so cost effective though, since I've also bought gifts. Makes for double happy friends and family.


In other knitting news, I went to a Twist Trunk show at Yarns in the Farms in Beverly MA - awesome little shop (if only it wasn't so far away) and really sweet people. It was fun to see the actual sweaters from the magazine - and try them on! I've come to terms with the fact that the gorgeous red Sylvie jacket did me no favors, but am happy to say that Kingscot showed a lot of promise, and made sure to come home with that pattern. It's going to get knit out of the bag of DB Cashmerino DK I've been saving.

I also bought yarn to make a fluffy alpaca shawl, after trying on a really lovely one in the shop - it's a departure for me, since I'm not a fussy lace fan - but I've been missing the fluffy alpaca of a big wrap ever since I sent Alene's Wrap back to CA, and I've been thinking of trying some big lace thing. Of course the patttern I have in mind isn't supposed to be knit out of alpaca, but I'm willing to go with the sub for the feel I want. That's all I bought, since I am still on the stash plan, but my cohorts (Kris and Carol) did a little more damage and got some lovely stuff.

Lastly, I have a new design bug - am still playing with chunky winter white yarn and a big sweatercoat with some lace in it. A swatch will come soon. Big leaves. Big overlapping lace leaves.


At Home Mommy Knits said...

So lovely to just knit things up from your stash and find a recipient without plans. No pressure sometimes is the best way to finish things up quickly :)

Holli said...

Okay -- several things to comment on here:
1. Congrats on the low-stress-it-just-kinda-happened-and -is-using-up-your-stash holiday knitting! That's awesome, and while I'm crossing things off my holiday lists, I am not sure everything will get done in time (which is unfortunate, as I didn't buy a whole lot of gifts as compliments).
2. The Trunk Show you went to sounds so great. I checked out Kris and Carol's blogs too and loved the photos, etc. What a great time. Can't wait to see your Kingscot.
and finally,
3. How fun that you are working on a new design of your own. *that's* exciting.


Carol said...

That yarn is soooo pretty! That's what holiday knitting is all about - stress free, getting a feel for the recipient and giving it. Wish I had that here. I have one more acrylic mitt to make and then I don't think I can resist Sylvi anymore...

Kathleen said...

I so wish I could have come to the trunk show! Yarns in the Farms used to be my LYS, and it is the best little yarn shop I know.

Nell said...

Ooooohhhhh!!!!! Big white lace leaves???? Beautiful