Tuesday, January 27, 2009

So although I haven't been on the computer so much, I have been happily parked on my keester knitting away in front of the fire. It's amazing how our entire family won't leave the room. Games, puzzles, books, and pretty much everything else is scattered around the smallest space in the entire downstairs just for a little warmth. It's getting a little tough to walk through, but we're managing. Good thing we mostly sit.

Here's what I've been doing while sitting.

First, I finally frogged my unfortunate tee shirt sweater design idea and am using the gorgeous Merino Suri to make a big long scarf. I love this ribs and cable combo. Once blocked, it'll be a bit wider - and I'm debating about a fringe.


Second, it's Zoe's 5th birthday soon and she's requesting knits again. This time it's a Penguin Sweater. Really, I wasn't even going to try, but a magazine I happened to flip through at the yarn store had a penguin on it, AND was an old magazine on sale. Hard to ignore kismet when it chucks responsibility upon you, huh?


I mean, she's 5 and she loves loves loves penguins. She has been watching me like a hawk while I work on this guy. We added the purple and the snowflake, and we're ignoring the stripey sleeves in the pattern - in fact, we've modified a bit. I'm thinking some picot sleeve edges and he'll have a 3-D beak and wings soon. Wait and see. She can barely contain herself.

Me, I'm ready to finish my gray cabled Rowan vest. Got more Kathmandu Aran yarn on Ebay in my discontinued colorway for only $6 a skein, so I'm good when I finish up these.

7 comments:

Holli said...

Lounging fireside proves productive! Your cable/rib scarf is pretty and the little penguin sweater -- totally cute! I can't wait to see the FO, on the excited birthday girl. How fun.

PS hope you had a nice sit and knit with the girls this weekend. We had a lot of fun with our friends - went bowling to Town Line in Malden -- lots of fun.

Carol said...

Ok, you gotta tell me how to make the cable on the ends of the scarf. Is it really just doing it or is there a method?
LOVE the penguin sweater. The snowflake on the back is too cool for school.

puffthemagicrabbit said...

That penquin sweater is going to be too, too cute.

sue said...

The penguin sweater looks great already, I cant wait for the modelled debut when it is finished up. It sounds as though your whole family is enjoying nesting in the warmth.

Katie said...

Can't wait to see the Penguin sweater finished! My son wants "Nemo" and "Lightening McQueen" sweaters - not sure if I can pull that off. And Disney is surely not going to support me trying!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Can't wait to see the penguin sweater when finished. I have a four year old daughter at home who loves anything animal :)...

Batty said...

That penguin sweater already looks awesome! I can't wait to see the finished object. I'm a sucker for penguins too, they're so cute.