Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Or maybe just no honest friends?

I know I'm surrounded by people who come right out and tell me when I'm about to walk out of the house with something questionable. It could be the straightforward New England/New York Jewish slant I've always been surrounded by. "Those jeans do you NO favors" and "I can see your crack" or, "That bra gives you four boobs". Really, good to know. "You aren't 20 anymore, take it off" and my all time personal favorite, "You need longer shorts so no one sees the really wavy part of your legs". Hey, as painful as it is, I'm glad to hear it before I walk out in the world looking like a fool.

So what happened here? Who forgot to tell this woman that some kind of undergarment is necessary with a crochet dress? (Yep, those shadows aren't your imagination. It's clearer in the real photo.) And the other two women? I cringe to think of how much yarn and time they've managed to use up on their outfits - all that effort and no payoff. Can you tell the chick in orange has a sweater, a skirt, a belt, a scarf AND a hat made of the same orange acrylic? A little mix and match might have done her well.



As long as we're on the topic of things people tell me around here, it was pointed out to me last night that the ball bands from my cahsmerino yarn skeins are, well, a little inappropriately shaped. Hmmm.

OK, maybe there is such a thing as too much commentary.

(Don't tell me you aren't checking your own ball bands now.....)

8 comments:

Hilary said...

Aaaahhhh!!! What a great way to start the morning -- I am cracking up!! That ball band is way inappropriate! As are those vintage ensembles...eesh.

Wendy said...

It was all over for those ladies the moment they chose crochet - nothing could help them.

Holli said...

Thea - this post killed me. Joe and I noticed the very same thing about the cashmerino ball bands when I used that yarn a few months back. We laughed and laughed everytime another ball was used. What was Debbie Bliss thinking? ha ha

Dava said...

I'm old enough to remember those days. Crochet bathing suits that sag when wet and give you a tan that makes you look like you have a disease. But I believe most of the folks actually making that stuff were stoned when they did it.

Erika said...

I stumbled upon your blog this morning and I'm really enjoying reading your posts and looking at the beautiful pictures. I LOVE the cardi and would love to be a test knitter for you: evandenhul@yahoo.com.

puffthemagicrabbit said...

Ball band is hilarious. Those pattern photos- there just aren't words...

sarabclever said...

Ha! Have you seen that book of ugly knits--can't remember what it's called but a knit blogger published it. A friend got it for me as a gift--perhaps as a warning lest I ever have such ideas ;-)

Anonymous said...

I kinda wish Amazon would take a good look and rethink their logo. I thought of it as soon as I saw your ball band! Our neighbors have and old Amazon box staring at me from their cellar window. Gives me a chuckle every day!