Friday, April 17, 2009

Remember a few posts back when I couldn't just sit back and knit a written pattern, so I had to create a new one? Well, here she is - a textured columned lace scarf -- not too feminine, not too complicated. I actually do like it, and one of my knitting students saw it on Wednesday during class and had me write the chart up for her, so perhaps it has some legs as my next free pattern on the sidebar.



I ended up with a two row repeat so I could do it on auto pilot, and I only had one skein of sock yarn, so it's not too long. (Really, I wish I had two skeins and it was longer, but hey, that boat sailed a while back when I only got one skein of the stuff).

So here I am, and I'm just not sure how to finish her up.

The plan in my head had a fringe of some sort. Tiny braids or a knotted fringe, or the kind that makes diamonds when you knot different strands together (I can't find a link right now, so you'll have to use your imagination). But I can't decide if it calls for fringe at all. Maybe a simple long ruffle? Or nothing. What do you guys think? I have yarn for about 5 more inches and have not bound off yet....


I do love the textures here - with the variegated colors.

With my running gear, it's a sweet look.

In other knitting news, one of my test knitters has finished her Golden Vintage Cardigan. You can see her finished 44/46 here, and the sizing worked out just fine, so that will be available soon. She did it in an off white, which looks so classic - I love it. Thanks so much Jane!

6 comments:

Hilary said...

I say to fringe. I can see the fringe that gets tied together and makes diamonds (whatever that's called) looking really great on that scarf.

Carol said...

Definitely a ruffle (like the Flutter Scarf).

Luise said...

I wonder whether fringe would distract from the pattern itself, which is pretty terrific on its own.

yoel said...

Since the columns of eyelets will tend to make the scarf squeeze in, an edge elementa that pulls the scarf apart slightly, like an i-cord edge might balance it out nicely. But then again, fringe makes most things look prettier too!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Your scarf looks lovely! About the fringe....not sure :)

Temperance said...

I would go with either the macrame type fringe (tied to make diamonds) which would soften the whole thing, or something more structured to emphasize the architectual qualities.