Sunday, May 10, 2009

Just back from NH Sheep and Wool, which was a great day. As always, it was a mellow and low key festival. Easy in, easy parking, easy shopping. And snacks. Sheep, alpacas, bunnies and the like. Lots of gorgeous yarn, of which I took home two bunches - 400 yds of cashmere in a deep blue and 700 yds of alpaca sport in a lovely deep gray. You can see I'm still thinking about lace.


And for the first time, I met blogpeople in person!
That was so fun. I won't drop a whole bunch of names here, but it was great to say hi and see the faces I've been seeing online for a while now in person. Of course, they had no idea who I was, but hey, that's OK. I knew all about them.. Seems the line between stalker and fellow blogger is a thin one, huh?



It was then pointed out to me (by my dates) that I never put any photos of my face on this here blog. ( Which then so obviously explained the lack of people stalking me around the fair, right?) I blame Maya's mirror often, but look what happened when Kris and Emily tried to take a bunch of good photos of me in my Nantucket Red for the upcoming pattern sheet.



No face. Yep, and again. No face. Lots of shots of the sweater. Front, back, sides, seams, lace. And other various parts of my head without features. Seems I so didn't want to look at the camera. But I never do. My photo albums are full of shots like this.


I think Kris may have a shot of my actual face, but for now, I'm still a mystery to you all.

But look here instead, as a more important mystery question did get answered since I last blogged. Craig had a little minor surgery on Friday and we were looking for something to spice up the codeine mix a bit, so we decided to give the Michealada a shot - wrong hot sauce and all.


And what did it taste like?

Well, it tasted like beer with hot sauce and Worstershire in it.
And yeah, that's not good.

But we're improvising folks around here, so enter the Juice o Matic. And a few oranges. That helped, but it still needed a tweak. So we used some apple juice too. And then salted the glass rim once more. And wouldn't you know, it wasn't half bad.

It wasn't amazing or anything, and I'm not suggesting you whip up a batch for your next shindig, but for some reason I wanted to finish it up. It took a few sips to get there, but it had something that made you want to keep going after you got past those first few. I don't know if it was the sweet edge or the salt rimmed glass or the hot sauce, but the combo finally did the trick.

It's not exactly Great, But it's maybe like coffee? First sip, huh. Not sure. Second sip, OK. Maybe. Then third sip, hell, I just might drink the whole cup.

Next time I want a beer cocktail, I'm going back to a shandy, but I'm glad we tried this puppy. I just might have one again someday.

And if you're looking for a conversation starter at your next barbeque, you can dare someone to whip one up and give it a try themselves - but add that OJ and apple juice, or have it on hand.

6 comments:

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Lovely yarn you picked up, can't wait to see what you do with it!

Norma said...

Well, *I'm* dropping names tomorrow. Heh.

yoel said...

Oof, my stomach is churning a little bit at that beer "cocktail." IMHO shandies are in their own league and shouldn't even be compared with this concoction. The humid summer heat is so worth the shandy made with homemade lemonade!

Holli said...

Wow, your Nantucket Red is gorgeous -- and I'm smirking about the your faceless photos :)

puffthemagicrabbit said...

Now I'm going to have to do some searching to see what a shandy is. Beer is not my favorite, but worstershire is good in its proper place, I like spicy stuff, but somehow... no.

Sweater is gorgeous- guess this makes you the enigmatic blogger...

Hilary said...

Firstly, that is a waaaay cute sweater. Secondly, I rarely show my face on my blog either. I found in the beginning that I had to take about 1,000 times as many photos until I found one that was acceptable for blog posting. Thirdly, nice yarn!!