Wednesday, June 03, 2009


Trashy iced tea mix.

Anyone know a good cocktail that uses this stuff? I have such vivid memories of my Mom drinking it in the 70s, and I've grown up to love it too. Only in summer, and only from the big round can with the plastic top. Lots of ice. Her other drink was Tab, but I don't ever see that in the store - do they make it anymore?

Summer does not mean sweater vests knit out of bulky yarn, but I'm ignoring that until I finish this guy. Luckily it's not too hot around here yet, and the Chamonix is lovely, so I don't want to put it down. It's pretty light for a bulky - not too drapey or heavy.



And as the pile on my knees has begun to make some sense (see below), this pattern is pretty habit forming. I'm thinking it might be turning out OK. I've made a number of mods to the pattern, but for a change I'm keeping track and will add them to my Ravelry details if anyone wants to see them.


In other knitting news, my Nantucket Red test knitters are finally getting to the finish - at least a few are..., and coupled with the original comments, I'm feeling good about the pattern's readiness for the world at large. I have already added the current batch of edits and am pretty confident it will be posted within the week. So, stay tuned, and thanks for your patience!

I've also started drawings and math on three design projects for fall. (3 since at least one is bound to be an unmitigated failure and I don't know yet which. I'm playing the odds.) After a trip to WEBS this weekend, I'm thinking I'll be casting on for at least one of 'em. We'll see which I find the yarn for.

I've promised myself I'll stay ahead of the timeline this summer and get something posted in time for early fall knitting. We'll see about that too, since 4 weeks in Denmark this summer might put a little damper on the knitting time. We're off to visit family and looking forward to a nice long trip far away during the hot hot days of July and Aug. I think we might actually have timed it to miss the entire greenhead season! Kind of a bonus.

But more importantly, what are the chances any of you know a good LYS near Copenhagen??



11 comments:

Holli said...

Oh, Thea. I'm officially jealous. I want your summer!

neverenoughthyme said...

Tab!! I used to drink it in high school. I saw it yesterday at the Vermont Country Store in Rockingham VT. They still make it......

yoel said...

I've never seen this tea-in-a-can thing, but most trashy things are improved by even-trashier mint schnapps.

Anonymous said...

Bette Design in Copenhagen - visited it once and fed my stash!

sue said...

I dont think they make Tab anymore. I do remember drinking it though. Your vest is looking so nice, and the wool looks very squishy and soft. Nice color too.

Hilary said...

You're so lucky to be going to Denmark! And what are you talking about, the trip putting a damper on your knitting time? You're going to have some looong flights and you'll need to do something! I bet the yarn will be awesome. Kauni is from Denmark, I believe.

Anonymous said...

They do still make TaB -- I have seen it recently in grocery stores around Arlington -- either Market Basket or Shaw's.... maybe Roche Bros...

Enjoy Denmark! That's awesome!

Thea F.

At Home Mommy Knits said...

I have the same iced tea mix over here :)

I wish I was well traveled enough to give you a recommendation about Copenhagen but sadly I don't have any. 4 weeks, have a blast!

Anonymous said...

OH man, I am SOOOO excited to hear about the near completion of Nantucket Red. I came on here today for the very reason of checking to see if it were up yet. Also, I want my yarn in, waiting and ready for the pattern, can you tell me what color that is you made it out of? Is it the tomato? Thanks ever so much for the report~Jan

Thea said...

Jan -- Hi, thanks for your patience! I know that a few of them are seaming this weekend and I've already made their changes,so soon. The color I used was 6955 - I just found the ball band to double check. It looks a lot like 6988, but it's a little redder. and oops, as I think I may have been thinking it was 6988 until this very minute!

Deb said...

I've mixed the trashy ice tea mix with the trashy pink lemonade mix and vodka for a very "acceptable" summer drink. I also have a large can around all summer and can't live without it!