Monday, July 06, 2009


Well, not my entire vacation, but here's how I spent the rainy part.


For now, I'm calling this my Fall Design -- it's based on a sweater I saw and coveted in a Lucky Magazine a few seasons back for like $300. This is why I loooove the knitting. See it? Love it? Just make it.

I changed a million things from the original, which, for the money, was NEVER going to look good on me. It was made out of big mustard colored chunky yarn. Enough said. And it had a thick woven cable on the body and arms - enough said there too. I need more of a horizontal design, and slimmer cables.

I didn't like the shoulder lines on the magazine one either -- the collar went way out to the arm and it looked like it had raglan shaping -(the pic was small). Being short and curvy with boobs, I need fitted shoulders and a thinner collar. I also wanted some ribs and some seed stitch on the sides ( both for the rest in thinking while I knit and because I think that would make sizing easy if I decide to write this up ;-))



Anyways, a few years and about 20 notebook pages later, here we go.


It's knit out of Debbie Bliss Merino Aran, and took every bit of the 12 skeins I'd had in my stash. I had maybe 3" leftover. The yarn (now discontinued)? It's a lovely chocolate color, a little sheeny, soft and amazing on the hands. It should wear well and pill very little (am guessing here, but I think I'm right - based on my extensive yarn feeling and wearing experiences)

But -- Debbie discontinued it. If I write this puppy up, I'm going to suggest either Berrocco Pure Merino or Karabella Aurora 8 - or a sub from Webs. I also think it could be cool in an Aran tweed like Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran or the amazing Queensland Kathmandu.


I need to put a little invisible button on the inside so the bottoms stay lined up, but you can see how it looks here. With a sundress.


And you know, it can stop raining now, since I'm done knitting -- We leave for our big trip in 6 days. Woo hoo. Just a few more things to do. When I get off the computer. ha.

For vacation knitting, I'll bring a pattern all written up by another knitter so I don't have to think. A big lacy scarf with an easy repeat. I've brought Cherry Fizz from Twist and am also thinking of something I can do an alpaca wrap out of... After all, there are two long plane trips. With multiple legs. And I broke down and got Maya that DS, so the kids will be happybusy.

A drink later.

11 comments:

Deb said...

So basically - it's not at all the seater you saw in the Lucky magazine except that it IS still a sweater!! It's beautiful - great job!! I think it might need a chocolate martini...

Carol said...

Um, how confusing are your notes? I've got about 14 balls of Berroco merino in stash that says 'knit me into this!"

yoel said...

Love love love!! This is the perfect little late summer cardi.

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Beautiful! Looks perfect over your sundress.

Anonymous said...

loving this Fall sweater but would like it with a button on the bottom and not the tie for little ones to hang off of!!

Sole =) said...

Hi Thea! I'mn Sole, Carola's friend from Argentina.
Your work is fantastic.
Really nice!

Holli said...

Wow, Thea. You've outdone yourself with this one. And the back story (seeing it in Lucky, wanting it, modifying it and knitting it) really is fab.

Enjoy your vaca --- and your new sweater!

amandacathleen said...

Absolutely LOVE your finished sweater! I have to say I'm not one for ties (mostly because of my inability to tie a knot) but I love the tie on this sweater! I do have agree with you on the invisible button though, it needs something to keep the middle closed a little bit. For the commenter who would rather buttons, you could easily add button holes to the shawl collar or use a shawl pin to close it.
Enjoy your vacation! DS are great for travel and waiting in Dr's offices!

Kym said...

Again, I'm in love with your designs! I can't wait to make this one. I'm already digging through my stash to see what might be available. . .

Hilary said...

That is such a great sweater! It looks so comfy, but is also extremely chic. Just awesome! You must be so busy getting ready for your trip -- good luck!

Anonymous said...

Amazing, just amazing!!! I am so in love with this and I for one, adore the ties. It adds a little something different and flirty. To be able throw something on and add a little flip instead of having to button it up really appeals to me. The shawl collar rocks too!!! Ok, get busy and write this up so I can add it to my must make list after Nantucket Red and Vintage Gold.