Saturday, August 29, 2009

The sweater that almost didn't get finished - this is the one I began here, brought to Denmark, knitted up on cars, trains and planes and then thought would be too small around. I came home, tossed the notes out (crap, crap, crap) and shoved the knitting bag into the stash to be forgotten and frogged. But then, I couldn't do it.


It kind of haunted me. I found myself trying on similar things in the stores and finding all sorts of shortcomings with them. Why aren't they heathered brown? Why isn't the hem folded over stockinette? Do you find the real problem with being a knitter is that sometimes store bought just doesn't cut it because you know you can make EXACTLY what you want??

So I took it back out and put it back in about 4 times. Wished I hadn't thrown out all those notes - and finally wrote new ones based on the piece I had. Sighed and rethought the shape. Finally I figured I'd go with what I'd done instead of what I'd thought of in the beginning.

In the end, I'm glad I went with this fit instead of the bigger, belted vision I'd had in my head. Putting this on and seeing how it opens out instead of closing up, I think it's actually more flattering than the belted things I'd tried on in the mall. It's a nice straight line. It's a little more modern feeling. And better for my curvy shape, I'm thinking.

The alpaca is a little clingy, but really more "skimming" than anything.

It's another lame photo shoot in Maya's room on a rainy day, but when I write it up, I'll do prettier pics and try my hand at styling an outfit that works around this guy. In the meantime I just like it so much I had to post.


The neckline also ended up a little different than my first thought. (Here it's safety pinned, dark photo, so give me a little leeway. It lines up just fine in real life)

I deviated from my original plan and made it wider and more open - I think it looks better with the big, loose short sleeves than the basic crew type neckline in my original drawing. And, I love those wide sleeves too. love love love

Here it is on Carol a little earlier in the process. Pre end-weaving, pre blocking. Hence the wonky cockeyed way it's laying. But you're knitters, you get the idea.

Am debating a single button with a loop, double buttons with a toggle, or hooks and eyes. I kind of like the simplicity of the big stockinette collar and center panels and am leaning towards hooks and eyes. The cardigan is such a versatile piece, I almost don't want to accesorize it with something - with hooks and eyes, it'll match everything, right?

But I always have THESE and it's such a crime to leave them unused....

Especially the little metal-etched off white ones. Am loving those...

Below is the length - about mid thigh. It hides hips, is longer than any blousy shirt underneath, could go over a dress maybe AND isn't too long for a short girl like me. I'm thinking this will work well with boots and jeans too- I'll still have knees and a little leg between the shoes and the sweater. Plus it will stay hidden under my coat (Pet peeve - when long things hang out)


Am digging the hem. Honestly, there's not much I'm not digging here. Am hoping some of you will agree :-) Will get to the writing very soon, and will be hoping to find a few test knitters with Ultra Alpaca in the stash and a good eye for mistakes!

I found a group on Rav who test knits, but I know a couple of you who have been fab testers before might want to give this a shot? Totally understand if you don't want to - no explanations necessary, but if anyone does, please shoot me a comment with your email.

Sorry to go on gushing about my own shit, but I had such LOW expectations here and it turned out pretty groovy. Hence the name - Lucky.

PS. The Ultra Alpaca for this? 5 skeins = $35

With over 100 yds left. I just might make a well deserved drink later on today.

14 comments:

Luise said...

Terrific sweater. Looks good with jeans, but can also be dressed up if you want.

Speaking of a deserved drink, have you tripped over a line of fruit and vegetable drinks made by Bolthouse Farms? The ones I've tried are great, and I've wondered how one could use them in proper drinks -- and I thought of you. They're available at Shaw's and Whole Foods; the Mocha tends to disappear first. I'd be interested in your reaction.

Carol said...

I can knit but not very fast...

Thea said...

Luise -- I will have to check those out! Thanks for the tip... Thea

Renee said...

Great lines and length on that, so wearable.
I definitely prefer double button when I knit items like that.

Tamara said...

Lucky is beautiful. I am tall and not curvy, so it's probably not for me. But I would admire it when I saw someone wearing it!
Tamara

Elizabeth said...

I really like this! Glad you couldn't bring yourself to frog it. Cute length, cute all over.

Anonymous said...

Lucky is stunning!!! I wish I could test knit it for you but school starts tomorrow and I am off to work kicking and screaming all the way knowing full well my knitting will be limited to stockinette in the round for the month of September :-( If you still need a test knitter in October sent me a pm in Ravelry. Life will have returned to "normal" by then. Truly a great design! Cyndi

Batty said...

Yeah, lucky you didn't just throw everything out! Beautiful lines, beautiful detail, beautiful fit.

Deb said...

Oh she's beautiful!! Seriously - 5 skeins? Lucky is economical too! Great job!

shanalines said...

love this sweater! it looks cozy. short sleeved sweaters are a great idea.

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Looks fantastic on you! Great knit.

Kym said...

Oh, Thea. You've done it again. I love the design. I love Ultra Alpaca. I have some in the stash. I am tall. I can see this over. . . way too many things in my closet. Here it comes -- I'll test knit this one, if you're still looking.

Holli said...

Oh, Thea! Another gorgeous piece. I love (LOVE) the hem line, and think I'd go with the simple hook and eye closure. Don't you just LOVE it when things turn out even better than you'd imagined? Great work!

Hilary said...

Let me just say that I am SO happy you did not abandon this one! And I completely dig it. You should be gushing over it!