Thursday, September 17, 2009

The life of a solo, home based, kind of unknown knitwear designer is a little challenging at times. As many of you know, resources are a little slim in the Photography Department around here. Yesterday, my staff was off at school and I decided I'd take my own shots of the new designs.


Hmm. There are more, but you get the idea. I suck.

By the time the staff returned from school and finished up all their higher priority projects, we'd missed all the light around here and the camera batteries were dead.

So today I got a little creative. New batteries in hand, I went off to drop Zoe off this morning. With the promise of tasty coffee, I managed to convince my friend Ann to accompany me back from the playground, don a few wardrobe changes and pose on the back deck. She thinks I'm nuts. But she's a great sport, and looked pretty fab in the duds.

So, I introduce to you, both of the Lucky Sweaters, nicely photographed -- and coming soon in pattern form.

First there's the Short Lucky.


This one's got a moveable belt, which means options. So we played around. I look better with it belted high near the bust. She looks amazing belted low. I also think a button would work, or a few buttons, or a cool pin. Even a real leather belt for those of you who really accessorize and can pull it off. Personally, I can't wait to see what you, the knitting public, may end up doing with the options here...



Open is nice too, and from the back you can see the cute swingy shape.


She even agreed to put on one of my shirts from the "prop pile" and the necklace from around my neck and take some shots in Long Lucky. Maybe this photo shoot thing wasn't so bad, huh? I love how this looked with the deep blue.



One little note here on details -- in making the short version, I realized I should get rid of that little seam at the shoulder. And did. So even though you see the weird seam here, both the patterns have a smooth sleeve with a seam at the armpit instead of the top.

But if you think I'm reknitting my Long Lucky, na ah. I'm done after making two of them. And will move onto some other projects next. Instead, I'll have the only one with the seam and I'll be fine with it that way.

What is it Zoe's old teacher used to say? You get what you get and you don't get upset. I get what I got. And I'm good with it. (Yours will just be a little more perfect)


I might owe Ann mittens to match the hat I made her last year.



8 comments:

Kym said...

They look GOOD, Thea! Very trendy! You can be a designer AND a stylist. . . just like on Project Runway. . . (only definitely more "wearable!")

Carol said...

I love that you lure unsuspecting mothers from the playground with offers of coffee. They'll have you registering with the police next.

Thea said...

oh, she suspected, all right...

Kathleen said...

"You get what you get and you don't get upset" is the philosophy of Isobel's old teachers, too. We do our best to keep that philosophy alive.

Batty said...

Consider me lured!

Leah said...

Both of those are lovely!

yoel said...

Ooh, very pretty! Love the cool textured fabric. I'd volunteer to test knit, but I'm way behind on the knitting with deadlines already...

Hilary said...

Once again, I LOVE this sweater (these sweaters)! And after reading roughly one bazillion fashion mags on vacation this week, I can tell you that those sorts of sleeves are very, very in right now.