Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Here's my Holiday, and it's waaaaay overdue.

I've wanted to knit this for how long now?? I'm using Louet Riverstone Bulky, which was on clearance at WEBS this summer, and I'm loving it. Not exactly the bulky white cashmere Cameron Diaz had, but we have different budgets, don't we? If only TSE just gave me $700 sweaters out of the wardrobe dept!

Between Halloween and a few other things going on this week, I figured it was time to shelve my design stuff and spend a week working on someone else's pattern, so I could concentrate on the non-knitting life I lead. I have one, you know ;-). Demented and sad, but social, it is. (Recognize that? Who's a child of the 80s here?)

I've also been waiting for a new drink. You can't have a holiday without one, can you? And funny enough, this one has a vacation-y name. Purely coincidence -- I picked it since we are trying to use the ingredients we have in the cocktail cabinet. Somewhat like knitting down the stash, isn't it?

Anyways, it's the one on the right. A Bermuda Highball. The other is a gin and tonic, since my DH wanted one of those instead. The highball was good -- and a nice break from rum and cider type drinks, which seem to be the fave while the leaves change.

Bermuda Highball

3/4 oz gin
3/4 apricot brandy
1/4 oz vermouth
juice of a half lime
ginger ale
-----------

And in other "have been waiting for" news, yesterday was one of my favorite events of the year. The Temple Isaiah Rummage Sale! It's amazing.

I go every year, and I have cohorts, who love it as much as I do. We go straight from school dropoff, wait in the line, and get the good stuff early. This year, we lasted for 4 hours, and I walked away with 3 giant bags 'o stuff. Good Stuff. There's Prada in there this year, and Seven jeans and three dot shirts. I tried, tried, tried to get a Coach suede trench to fit me, but gave up the ghost on that one.

Above is some knitting related Stuff from said bags.

Two giant shetland sweaters from England to be frogged and used for something later on. The yarn in both is a little wooly, but not too itchy. And the light green one has a nice sheen too. All 100% shetland. I'm thinking the dark green one will be the yarn I use to re-knit my Shawl Collared Cabled Cardigan with the ties. After wearing it at Rhinebeck, I think it needs to be knit in a less "slippery" yarn that won't fall open as easily. Something a little more sheepy, as Carol says. I was going to buy tweed, but this will do the trick just fine - and sweaters are $6 ea!

I also scored a Chaiken cardigan for the same $6. It's cozy, black, soft and bulky, a cashmere wool mix. Never been worn. I'm thinking that for the $120 I did spend (don't tell), I really saved about $400. right? Just tell me I did.

10 comments:

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Your Holiday sweater looks scrumptious!!

A little Breakfast Club I think....definitely brat pack movie.

Kym said...

Oh, wow! The rummage sale sounds WAY better than Rhinebeck to me! :-) I love a good rummage sale!

Renee said...

Your holiday sweater looks terrific. Great shopping day! I love sales like that and you definitely "saved" a ton of money. It's more fun to shop with cohorts, isn't it?

AmyPinSeattle said...

You saved WAY more than $400...shopping for the yarn alone would have resulted in buying WAY more yarn than for said project...and thus you would have spent $500 just in the yarn purchase...forget the savings for the rest of your haul!!

Kathleen said...

My high school was the inspiration for Breakfast Club - love that movie. Your sweater looks lovely. I may have to move that one up from "faves" to "queue".

Thanks for the comment yesterday, BTW.

Holli said...

OMG - the Fireside is beautiful and is going to look lovely on your thin frame! Can't wait to see if finished.

As for the rummage sale and PRADA? Luckyyyyyyyy!

Patty said...

Nice work at the rummage sale. I'm pretty sure I've got Fireside in the queue but not sure I've got the chops for it. Can't wait to see yours!

amandacathleen said...

ok, you got a ton of steals at the rummage sale! Have fun with the frogging.
Love the fireside cardigan. I'm kinda eh on the collar, it looks really stiff. Are you working it as written or are you planning a mod?

Maya said...

I'm loving the fireside so far -it goes fast - and no mods. Time to knit without thinking - I have a Halloween party here on Sat and stuff for school to do and and and. Just reading the pattern and knitting for once!

not Maya

Hilary said...

Whoa, SCORE! Those are some damned good rummage sale finds. Holiday is looking great -- isn't the Riverstone Bulky fantastic for cables??