Monday, January 18, 2010

A little time to make decisions. I did play with a whole bunch of colors and shapes, but in the end, I chose a neutral colored button so I can wear any kind of shirt underneath. These have cool intertwined snakey things on them though - kind of like the cables they live in.


I got the question of why the cables only exist on one side of the button band and not the other, and since it may get asked again, I'll answer here. With two sides of cable, and an off center band, the extra bulk over one boob was a little disturbing. C on one side, D on the other. This solution cut the bulk and evened things back up, so to speak. Since it's supposed to be worn buttoned, you'll never see it. And no, I didn't see that one coming, so I can't take any credit - it was reknit after we noticed. After someone looking at ME noticed.

Snow also means a lot of progress on new things. This is a deep purple alpaca, with vivid blue heather/fibers in it. On #9s, so you can understand the progress. Very light and soft and lovely to work with. It's going to be a gathered floaty thing, so it's perfect. I'm not usually a knitter of gathered floaty things, so this is a fun departure. We'll see how it goes.

Behind it is a very old bottle of Old Grand Dad, appropriately from my own old grand dad -- Grandpa Irving. He'd be happy to know it didn't go to waste.

It's pretty good with a little pear nectar, some soda water, bitters and lemon juice. And perfect for a snowy afternoon in front of the fire. Zoe made me add the swords, but they won't stay properly in the floaty pears or balance on the glasses. I think she wants them for a Polly Pocket sword fight once I give up.

5 comments:

Laurie said...

I can see that even B/C isn't a good match up on the cable(s). It's a nice detail...but then I love me a cable or three.

Hilary said...

The cable-on-one-side strategy is pretty brilliant. With it buttoned up, no one will know that there aren't cables under there. The gathered floaty thing looks so pretty so far!

Kathleen said...

I think it looks great and completely makes sense to just have the one cable. Keep up the good work, busy bee!

Kym said...

I figured it was something like that. . . (about the cable discrepancy). I'd much rather have a cable discrepancy than a boob discrepancy. . .

I like the buttons. :-)

Anonymous said...

Yea, that's what I figured as well, just thought I'd ask! No can do on the boob thing either! I figured it was probably supposed to buttoned all the time by the way it was designed.

That heathery purple color is fantastic!