Friday, March 12, 2010

There are few things that can bring joy like a package waiting for you when you walk up to the door. Especially when you know what's inside.

This was brought to my house while I was away this morning for the 50% off sale at a local Goodwill with a like-minded friend. Because the crap you wouldn't buy there for $4 is way worth it when marked down to $2. (No really, that's not sarcasm -- it is.)

"THIS" is two batches of the Plucky Knitter's amazing yarn for which I am writing a couple of patterns. I was excited to work on the projects after seeing her yarns on Ravelry, but now that I've touched them, I can barely keep from dropping everything else to get started.


Hard as it was to stay focused on the cardigan design for the rest of the afternoon, I managed somehow. However, with the new yarn on the table only a few feet away, there were many breaks. And one frogging back. Sad and pathetic how distracted I was by the new yarn, but if anyone understands, you guys will. Luckily, I only have a little ways to go on the cardi now, and have hidden all 4 skeins for the night.


See? Hard to ignore.



The green goes on the needles first. My pattern's already written and it's even been test knit out of old stash yarn, so I know things will work as they should. It's a big, cozy scarf. See that sheen? This stuff is softer than Malabrigo, I shit you not. (It's a merino, alpaca and silk mix) And I will be knitting with it before Sunday's over -- and as long as the cold weather holds, it'll be wrapped around my neck before the week's over.



These two skeins, I may need to pry out of Maya's hands in order to work with them. Unfortunately, they are an amazing shade of aqua and that's her all time favorite color. She's already tried to hijack them once, and I think she'd even be willing to knit it herself in order to have something made of them. So, as long as I can keep them safe and away from her, they have a future as a very cool eternity type cowl. Right after the greens get their day in the sun.



We've decided the appropriate thing for the aqua yarn is an aqua drink, hence the Curacao.

I'm staying away from the things with "Blue Hawaiian" in the name, and I refuse to do the Smurf Piss, although that was funny to read. This shot is getting a little lemon juice first, and then we'll see how we can make it a little more palatable than the usual coconut and OJ Freshman Girl type concoction that I'm seeing over and over again. I'm on my bartending own here though, since Craig refuses to taste anything blue. Not manly enough, apparently.

I may have to call Lisa from the backyard up for a little tasting.

11 comments:

Chris said...

I got a parcel of teal and green yarns in the mail this week, too! (the green is more of a moss than yours, but still. weird, man!) I adore Plucky yarns. I'm so jealous! I look forward to seeing what you make.

Jody said...

delicious yarn - the colors are unbeatable - I love them!

Lisa said...

Love those watery colors used together. Very nice 'eye candy'. Will have to check out Plucky. Never heard of that one.

Carol said...

Vibrant vibrant colors. I bet they were great to work with. For the drink - we used to drink something in college called blue whales. Not sure what was in it but the frat house would make a small kiddie pool filled with the stuff (complete with bath toys of course).

Carol said...

Never mind. Just googled Blue Whale. Very freshman college girl drink. Pineapple rather than coconut though.

Batty said...

Such pretty yarn. I can hardly ignore it, and it's not even in the same town as me!

Laurie said...

Some people look for daffodils, you look for vibrant yarn as spring's announcement! Color matched cocktails is wonderful!

QuiltedSimple said...

oh the green is lovely. can't wait to see it done up
kris

Hilary said...

Oooh...preeeety. Those colors are absolutely divine. Perfect for the beginning of spring! I think curacao is the perfect thing to go with it, too. Hehe...Smurf Piss.

Kathleen said...

Love that blue yarn.

I had friends who used to serve blue margaritas, using blue curacao instead of a colorless version of orange liqueur. Yum.

Renee said...

Mmmm, Plucky!! Sarah is a dyeing genius!!