Monday, March 08, 2010

It's arrived in full force around here -- and since we're fully aware that it can be taken away without notice, we spent the weekend outside. I love how anything above 50 degrees around here warrants full on outdoor activities.

Kids in the yard, some barbeque, gin and lemonade concoctions, garden clearing and bike riding. Plus a long -awaited lacrosse lesson for Maya. She's been wanting to learn for ages, and we'd just bought new sticks to replace the old. They are new and shiny and beg to be used. Zoe's are pink and tiny and come with a pink ball.

The lesson was a total train wreck, complete with a tantrum in the middle of a school field - (I'd anticipated some embarrassment and at least picked a nearby town where we wouldn't know anyone.) I, however, hadn't anticipated full out drama. Ugh. Later it ended way better -- on a new field, after much begging for second chances and promises of new attitude. Actual progress! Some catching, some cradling, and even some well aimed throws.

Why are they SO miserable when a parent tries to show them something??

Anyways, after that, we (needed) made more drinks.
All the above didn't leave time for blog photo taking.

But there was a little knitting progress nonetheless. (during the Oscars. I LOVED Sarah Jessica Parker's dress. Not so much Charlize Theron.... ) The weather made me realize I'm already working towards Fall and completely skipping any spring or summer knits. What?! So figuring I'll need a new little something by New Hampshire Sheep and Wool, I've cast on.

I'm going with the E.Lavold Silky Wool I've had in stash, and I'm thinking of a neckline I saw on a cashmere pullover in NYC last month. I took out my phone and kinneared it while the owner wasn't looking, and it's been on my mind ever since.

(Colleen and Kathleen - do you remember that little number?)

Anyways, it'll be light and short and quick. No tantrums. I'm hoping.


------

On another note, any plus size ladies out there want to test knit Calvados?
I'm all set on the other sizes, but haven't got a 48-50.

Pics next time, I promise!

13 comments:

QuiltedSimple said...

Wow. we just hit 40 yesterday - and I really cannot wait for 50's and 60's. My Short Lucky is done and drying - hopefully tonight when I get home from work it will be totally dry.
Kris

Katinka said...

I don't know how old your daughter is, but my 9 year-old girl meets any suggestion/recommendation from me with rolled eyes and great exasperation. I think it's been going on since age 3. ;)

Holli said...

Wasn't this weekend just the best thing EVER? I loved hiking in the Fells and listening to the sound of basketballs being dribbled along my sidewalk as kids headed to the park. Ahhh...spring in New England -- it's divine!

Kristen said...

Spring! I'm so excited for spring. I hope your good weather sticks around for a bit. I'm trying to plan the spring garden when it's cloudy, because that makes it seem more like spring will actually be here soon!

Mini said...

I'm a plus size and I'd love to knit it. What's the timeline and yardage requirements?

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

I liked SJP's dress, too. I don't remember Charlize Theron's dress, so it must not have been a thriller. I LOVED Maggie Gyllenhaal's dress and I wish she had won so I could see it more up-close.

I can't wait for your new pattern! It's totally my style. I also plan to knit White Russian. But I think it's going to be a rust orange Russian..... :)

Anonymous said...

I live in northeastern Mass. - up where the Merrimack River crosses the NH line. We reached nearly 60 degrees this weekend. It was heavenly. I did my errands with my sunroof open. But it is New England, so I haven't put my winter coat away!

I'm delurking to say how much I enjoy your blog, and I look forward to trying one or two of your sweater patterns. I am a S-L-O-W knitter, so I'm not sure when that will happen, but I keep looking!

Thea said...

Anon. - thanks so much!

and Mini - email me at theacolman@yahoo.com or leave your email address here so we can chat...
I tried to comment on your blog and it kicked me out, so here's hopin you read this!


Thanks, Thea

Kym said...

As for Charlize? DEFINITE titscrepancy!!!!! (What was she thinking?)

My kids both played lacrosse! My daughter had the most awesome lacrosse t-shirt --- it said "Helmets are for boys!" It's a verrry frustrating sport to "get" -- so good luck with that! :-)

Kathleen said...

I definitely remember the neckline on that sweater and can't wait to see your version! We enjoyed the weekend here in NYC, and today was even better (had to put my clapotis in my bag while I was out and about - too warm for all that KPPM around my neck).

janna said...

50 degrees! That would be heaven! I was waiting and waiting for it to hit 40, but now that it has, I realized that really I meant 50. Or maybe 60....

SJP's dress was nice, but what was going on with her makeup? She had on way too much bronzer - it was streaking during the pre-show, when, granted, it was raining, but still....

Laurie said...

This whole WEEK promises to be in the 50s. My head is reeling.

Intrigued by a neckline that intrigued you.

Hilary said...

Oh dear, I totally used to do that to my parents. Lots and lots of tantrums when I couldn't "get" something as quickly as I wanted to. I'm sure my future children will get me back for it...

Glad to hear you're enjoying the spring weather! And your new design project sounds fab...can't wait to see more.