Wednesday, March 10, 2010

(bad washed out photo)

The thing about the swatch is that it warns you, and then it waits for you to come around and listen. Like the patient parent I am not, it gives you some advice and watches if you choose to ignore it. Because it knows that it's right and that you're going to find out sooner or later. It's a case of either the easy way or the hard way. You'll be back, right?

So these past few days, the more I knit into this particular idea with the Silky Wool, the more my swatch stared at me and waited. It knew I'd be back.

The silky wool is such lovely stuff and I really did want it to work in my little idea, but the swatch was right. This stuff doesn't DO lace. It does cables. And it does ribs. And it's light and fluffy and feminine and maybe I'll pick it back up and make something else more delicate and simple out of it, but in the end, it just wasn't going to do this:



However, the Blue Sky Skinny Dyed I found DOES do this. And it does it quite nicely.
PS. This is not a hat, as it appears to be in the photo. It's a short, summery cardigan to be.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks great!

Kym said...

Can't wait to see what you're up to in larger scale! :-)

Kathleen said...

I've been hearing such good things about EL yarns, but I'll keep you caveat in mind. Love Blue Sky cotton!

sue said...

I am loving those cables!

sue said...

I am loving those cables!

bellsknits said...

silky wool doesn't do lace. Noted. Thanks for finding that out before I try!

Carol said...

I think the silky wool is too tweedy or slubby for lace. You need the smoothness of that Blue Sky which looks great so far.

Patty said...

Oh boy - can't wait for this one, love the look of the pattern.

Hilary said...

Isn't it funny how yarn will talk to you like that? Sometimes it tells me things I don't want to hear, so I try and bend it to my will. It never works. Anyway, the Skinny Dyed is just as gorgeous as the Silky Wool, so you really couldn't have gone wrong here!

Laurie said...

My swatches lie as often as not. When to believe...when not to believe.