Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Finishing up things on Calvados and Cherry Vanilla has left me with a clean-ish knitting slate, so I started to fill it in. With this. It's a replacement for my all time favorite cardigan, who's been getting nastier and nastier by the year. (Keep in mind it was a thrift shop find to begin with!) It was time to upgrade, apparently. I wanted a dark color, DK weight, and to be playing with seed stitch elements.


It's being worked in crap yarn from my stash, so imagine it in a deep, subtly vareigated DK. Smoother and prettier. That's how it'll eventually make its way to you. I'm working things out as I go, as there are proportional elements that I need to see in person in order to figure out how they'll all look together. Can't do it from the chart or the notebook. Hence the crap yarn.

In contrast to the knitting lull, this is one of those weeks where everything else is happening at once. The week after, we've got nothing, but the next few days until Sunday are crazy. And Craig is going out of town tomorrow too, which figures. So, a little stockinette and seed stitch are just about right, don't you think? For that 9pm knitting time I'm going to get.


These were from last weekend -- big giant gin and tonics. With a splash -oops, more than a splash - of OJ. Kind of screwdriveresque gin and tonics. We did the gardens and the grass, so we deserved the supersize kind. Dug big holes. Moved shrubs. Planted blueberries for Zoe. Strawberries for Maya. A cherry tree for me. And the drinks went down easy afterwards.

In booze news this weekend, when Saturday is over and Sunday arrives, a few friends are coming over to hang out and help me relax. I've already bought a few giant bottles of cheap white wine, and they're sitting patiently a top the fridge - waiting for the White Wine Sangria Pots. And I think that'll go down easy too.


14 comments:

Chris said...

I've been thinking about replacing my favourite store-bought sweaters with patterns I devise, too. That way they're eternally renewable. Yours is looking intriguing!

Turtle said...

i need to replace my favorite sweater. I donated it today... it swam on me! (was not a hand knit) but i want this one to be a hand knit. Soooooo wanted a Tom Collins this weekend after working hard tearing the deck down, i actually have bruises on my shoulder bones! But i practiced self control as i had weigh in today, it was worth the restraint!
i luv that gray!

Kathleen said...

I find white sangria so refreshing.

And I definitely need a new sweater for me!

Laurie said...

Mmmmm. Looking forward to it.

claudia said...

very nice blog,Compliments and have a nice day from Tenerife!!!!

Patty said...

Hmmm here's hoping for a recipe for the white sangria!

Thea said...

1. Claudia, I want to live in Tenerife! It's gorgeous.

2. don't you worry Patty, I'll share it.

Kym said...

I'm really liking that little touch of seed stitch on your new cardi! I can tell it's going to be another winner!

bellsknits.com said...

OMG! Those enormous G&Ts!

Would you believe my favourite store bought cardi is 12 years old and I bought it in some department store in Boston on whim! 12 years later, it's ugly as sin and is still my go-to for around the house after all this time.

bellsknits.com said...

OMG! Those enormous G&Ts!

Would you believe my favourite store bought cardi is 12 years old and I bought it in some department store in Boston on whim! 12 years later, it's ugly as sin and is still my go-to for around the house after all this time.

Carol said...

You bought a cherry tree without me? I really must get in touch more often..

Hilary said...

Dude, what a clever use of seed stitch! The way it tapers down the front is SO COOL. It adds both visual interest and a neat texture. I can't wait to see more! And white sangria...mmmm...

Turtle said...

lol, have you ever seen the movie "dude where's my car" such a stupid movie! There was one good scene though at the take out drive through chinese window. Your title reminded me of it at quick glance as they are similar. That key phrase was "and then....?"

Sarah said...

Ok, I'm dying to know what this pattern is.... looks top-down. You know how I like top-down!