Thursday, April 15, 2010

Time for a well-deserved break for everyone around here.

Since you might be in the same boat, you'll need a drink to see you through, right? This is one of my all-time warm weather faves. I made them yesterday when a friend came to pick up her daughter from our house, so I even have a brand new photo of them for you!

It's called a Susie Taylor (Not sure why, but it is - according to Mr. Boston.)

Susie Taylor
2 oz dark rum
ginger ale
one lime - sliced and squeezed in
ice cubes

It's simple and perfect. Trust me on this.

I'll be checking out for a few days, back later next week. I may or may not have computer access after Saturday, so if you are looking for me in regards to a pattern question, it could be a few days before you hear back.

While I'm gone, I'm plan to take a knitting break as well. Of sorts.

I'm going to follow directions for a change! One of the biggest problems with all this design stuff is that I never get to knit the other amazing patterns out there. But I have a queue, yes I do. And on it are a number of things I'm dying to get to. Two of those things are now packed up and ready to hop in the car with us.

The first is Gudrun Johnston's Aestlight Shawl. I love this pattern and have been coveting it for some time now. See Jess's in green? It's amazing. I started one back at SPA, out of a deep purple vareigated yarn, and I plan on finishing it now. It should be done by New Jersey.

The second is really exciting -and it'll keep me busy the rest of the trip. It's a gorgeous slouchy, wear-everywhere pattern designed by my talented internet friend Hilary.

It's called the Lilas Cardigan. and I had to have it the minute I saw it. So I used my wiley charms on her and managed to get an early copy of the pattern for my trip. Yep, now I'm the test knitter for a change. Well, kinda. She knows better than to rely on me and also has a tech editor who will not be drinking and also not be on vacation. Smart girl, that Yarniad.


Upon my return, I'm going to get right back to work. I plan to finish up the pattern on Cherry Vanilla and get it up on Ravelry. ASAP. Promise.


13 comments: said...

ooh don't wiley charms come in handy sometimes?

Good on you for doing more of your own knitting. I have wondered that about designers - where is the time for just sitting down and knitting a cardigan if you want to?

have a great break!

Carol said...

Great patterns - I'm adding that shawl to my list now too. Have fun on your trip!

Estella said...

Can't wait to see how your Lilas turns out - that is a pattern that I am hoping to make too! Happy vacation.

Hilary said...

Oh, you crack me up!! I swear I think you're reliable...I just believe that one shouldn't have to take notes while one is on vacation. I really hope you like the pattern and that it works out are living dangerously, you know. :)

I, too, love the Aestlight pattern -- I can't wait to see how yours works up.

Have fun!!!

Kathleen said...

Have a great trip! Sorry we won't meet up in Boston next weekend, but there will be more trips in the future. And can't wait to see your Lilas - that Hilary is so clever.

Turtle said...

gorgeous picture! Enjoy your break!

Hey, have you tried the chocolate birthday cake shot?

1/2 shot Absolut® Citron vodka
1/2 shot Frangelico® hazelnut liqueur
1 lemon wedge

thinking of trying it this next weekend!

Kym said...

Have a great vacation -- and have fun with those GREAT projects. Can't wait to see 'em!

didyoumakethat said...

Ooh, I love the Lilas cardigan. And thank you for introducing us to Hilary's great blog.

Laurie said...

Sounds like a delightful change of focus. Have a wonderful trip!

Batty said...

Oh my, that drink sounds heavenly. I'm off to get some ginger ale.

Lisa said...

Have a great vacation! But please don't forget about Calvados - I'm already planning on buying some Vintage for that...

At Home Mommy Knits said...

That drink looks yummy!!

Kate said...

Hey, just in case you're out and about and want to order that drink in a bar, lots of places call it a Dark and Stormy! Well, almost that drink. Instead of ginger ale, they use ginger beer, which has a much more decisive bite to it. Tastes just like summer to me! YUM.