Thursday, April 22, 2010


We drove the whole way back up the Eastern Seaboard from Virginia in one shot - that's 9 states and DC - in one day. This blows my husband's mind, since he's from CA and he almost never crossed state lines to go anyplace when he was young. We had planned an overnight on the way back, but in the end, the call of our own beds was too loud, and the straight shot at 80 mph seemed too good a gift to turn down. (Then we hit NYC and it all went to hell, but hey...)


Those of you from Boston (well, Charlestown) will nod when I say the Washington Monument, at first, wasn't so impressive to my girls. Been there, done that, seen it. Until we got up close and personal and they could see how much bigger it was than the one we have. Then the coolness totally sunk in.

I'll spare you the rest of the tourist pics and trip details. Suffice to say it was great. We need to go back in a few years, because there's just no way to get it all in on one trip. Although we did our best -- both indoors and out. Lucky for us, it was a gorgeous few days for walking around.


On the drive up and down (and in short spurts on the double decker sightseeing bus), I managed to crank out some of Lilas. This is the perfect mindless travel knit! Long stretches of stockinette, and someone else's directions to follow. It has a big floppy collar, so although it doesn't look like I'm super far here, being through the collar and the sleeves is a big chunk of yarn. I think I'm three skeins in. (And again, how nice is it not to have to keep track?)


Not sure how well you can see this yarn, but it's a deep navy blue Jo Sharp Tweed with pink and teal flecks. I had a few skeins left over from my Hourglass, which I knit years ago. I loved the yarn, but didn't have enough to make another sweater.

Then, last year I was in a small yarn shop in Kennebunkport ME and I saw more skeins (!!!), on clearance (even more !!!), so I scooped them up and brought them home. Perfect match. I shoved them all in one big zipper bag for the perfect sweater. Enter Lilas.

So, imagine my surprise (knitting this week) when I realized my perfect match yarn was actually Kathmandu DK Tweed! Two completely different (albeit Australian, right?) companies, yarn bought years apart- and in different states - and the colorways are spot on.

It's almost as good a gift as that speedy drive.



11 comments:

QuiltedSimple said...

That sounds like a fun trip - if it was a long drive:) And that yarn is gorgeous! My Calvados is done but for sewing the buttons/snaps on it (and blocking which will happen at some point) which will hopefully happen at lunch today. LOVE IT. So what are you designing next? I need another sweater to knit ....lol
Kris

Holli said...

Welcome home - and congrats on the marathon drive. My sister is down in VA now and is planning to do exactly what you did (only with three kids a little younger than yours). Sounds like a nightmare to me...perhaps they'll get that 80 mph open highway too.

Your sweater is looking good - the yarn is amazing!

Hilary said...

Welcome back! That is so weird about the yarn! I guess they were using the same mill or something. But how cool that the colorways are identical! Lilas is going to look awesome in that stuff. :)

I'm with your husband...it always freaks me out when we go back east and can drive to a different state in like 20 minutes. My family took a big road trip to Canada once and it took the better part of a day just to make it to Oregon. So I think it's like that everywhere. Nope.

Turtle said...

glad it was a fun safe trip, we're heading out to the DC area in a couple of weeks (with a short jump to orlando as well, hey, we'll be so close!) i have written down a few yarn stores to visit while in the areas) saw a cute slogan the other day< yarn bought on vacation isn't considered stash, it's souveniers!" liked that. Tell hubby it really sucks when u are an east coastie and you move west, to drive for hours and not cross a state line is so odd!

Patty said...

Welcome back! Sounds like a great vaca. Knitting is slow going on Nantucket Red - got to get that mojo going b/c it's going to be fantastic. Maybe I need a grey drink...

Kym said...

What a cool pic at the Washington Monument! DC is such a fun place to visit. So much to see. Welcome back.

Kris said...

Same mill for the companies, if I recall correctly. Great find!

Laurie said...

Sounds like a good time. Weather smiling on you? Priceless after this recent spring.

You have a Yarn Fairy looking over you.

Octopus Knits said...

Sounds like a fun trip! I love the first photo - what a cool perspective. That is amazing about the yarn match!

Kathleen said...

What Kris said (KFI distributed both here, and Jo Sharp's yarn was the higher-priced version of Kathmandu).

Sorry not to see you when we were up in Boston this weekend. The Gore Place Festival was fun and very crowded. Next time!

I spent a year in DC for school, and the best time to visit is right about now. Perfect weather. I'm looking forward to taking our kids when they're a little older.

Anonymous said...

ncdqhiufnuhiafimxhru, http://yahooscanner.net Yahoo scanner, LKMcukb.