Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I am not. I love the part of knitting that's all creative and flexible.


I hate the part where things need to add up. Properly. Sizing is not creative and flexible. But I've had my head in the calculator for the past three days and finally think I'm done with the niggly bits and details on this guy. It's my fave cardigan redux (to replace the one that's dying) out of Berroco Vintage and I'm thinking it's going to be a good one. As long as I've gotten more than half the math right, that is.

For tonight, it'll stew in my computer, and tomorrow it'll go off to the tech editor and test knitters. And although I hate the math part, on a 1100000 degree day like today, it was probably good to be dealing with "paper knitting" over the actual wooly kind. Especially a Top Down at Almost Done Stage kind of knitting - that's like having a sheepdog on your lap.

It is waaay too hot for actual sweater progress.

But it's kind of perfect for swatching, don't you think?

I'm not sure what I'm allowed to say on this yet, so let's just say it's going to be swatched.
And it's a lot of The Plucky Knitter's deep gray worsted weight merino. And that my photo doesn't do the deep color justice, but I've put those little skeins all over my damn house and I can't get it right. So if you really want to see the gorgeous color, click on the link. I think I got me some Sammy Samerson.

And, mmmm, before I can really get started, a little something to keep me cool.


I'll say this is a GINgerale.

(I still don't have the peach vodka and Fresca I need to be drinking with this project - and I won't even TRY to find the Vernor's stuff you are all chatting up, so I improvised.) And I know it's not ALL of you who even know what I'm yapping about. So, some of you are scratching your head, but apparently Vernor's is a kind of really amazing ginger ale locally available in the upper midwest and it's really not going to appear in my Stop and Shop.

SO, I used to make gingerpear sauce instead of applesauce and it was pretty good, and when I noticed the pear nectar on the shelf next to the gin, well...

2 oz gin
2 oz peach nectar
ginger ale almost to the top
ice cubes

Let's just say it goes down really easy on a hot afternoon. Verner's or no.

I think it'll help with the creative swatching process.

14 comments:

Katinka said...

You might be surprised about the Vernor's - I find it out here in the Rockies sometimes.

The sweater looks great!

theotherSarah said...

Cardigan's looking great, and I LOVE your highball glasses.

Freezing here, hard to think of long cool drinks, but easy to think of wool ;)

Turtle said...

that sounds like a great drink, and the pear nectar as well....love fruits!

the bits o sweater look very cool, uh, no worries of heat here....i have the fireplace going with a huge furry blanket over me right now. Damp and bone chilly, the combo of the two! wishing i brought my wooly blanket in the car with me today!Hubby kept laughing as i kept having to turn the but warmers on in the car during the long long ferry crossings.

Zonda said...

I like the sneak peek of the finished sweater. Cannot wait for what transpires with the Plucky gray! I get Vernor's in NC, drinking one right now...sadly plain though ;) Love your new glasses.

Bells said...

oh! Oh! Must finish current cardi so I can get on with test knitting. Yay, I was wondering how far away it was. PERFECT cardigan knitting weather here.

Chris said...

It was hot here and now it's cool again, so it's no problem having a sweater on my lap. The Plucky looks amazing!

Mindy said...

I like the sneak peek of the cardi. I'm going to have to bookmark this drink recipe. It sounds perfect for my upcoming vacation.

Marcy said...

Love your Cardigan, I have some Plucky worstead in Peep-Toes. It would look great in plucky. If you need another test knitter I'm here. Just so you know the Schweppes goes great with Vanilla Vodka too!. I'm from the east also, I'm going to check at Wegman's for the Vernor's. Maybe!

Carol said...

Looking fab!!

janna said...

The grey yarn is gorgeous! I'm really into semi-solids at the moment.

And I still haven't gotten any of that vanilla vodka...

Kym said...

That new cardigan looks wonderful! Can't wait to see it ALL. Nothing says "Michigan" like Vernor's. . . :-)

Andi said...

Love the cardigan and the plucky well that is just yum. I will definetly take that drink, we should be hitting 107 before end of the week. :)

rita said...

Last summer I found Vernors in the Keys, then came home and found it in local supermarkets. It's definitely a very unusual taste, but I can just imagine it with gin....mmmmmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Having trouble with shiraz. Why is there an even number of stitches across the back for seed stitch? I am ending up with three purls in a row when i get to the sleeve. No other comments on it so it must be something obvious. I am usually more intuitive....but i am stumped. Help?!