Thursday, May 06, 2010

This is an amazing, amazing beer. It's called Quelque Chose and according to the friend who gave it to me (thanks, thanks, thanks again!) it's only brewed once every 4 years. It's amazing. Seriously so. They take dark Belgian beer and brown ale and brew it with cherries.


IAnd look, they even have a cocktail recipe for it on the website. But seriously, it doesn't need any extras. Straight over ice. On the deck, while knitting.

So there I was, happily working away on a project, when I noticed a few bees. (let's say a few) Flying into a hole in the wood siding on our house about 2 feet from my favorite spot here. Now, we've had this problem before and I stuck a Vacu Vin thing in that hole, duck taped it in, and fixed the problem. Fixed it till they found a new hole apparently. Little fuckers.

This hole was bigger, and the bees were busy. So, I went downstairs to see what kind of caulk we had on the Man Shelves. We have NO caulk on the Man Shelves! None. And I've been forbidden from doing the Vacu Vin thing again, since we need those for the wine bottles, and they're expensive, and yadda yaddah.

I could have walked over to the hardware store, yes. But that would have cut into my cocktail and knitting time, so I looked around a bit more.


And look what I've got plenty of-- - Play Doh!! Jammed that in there and got back to my Quelque Chose and cardigan combination. Yep, I was pretty proud of myself.

Until I noticed this:



Seriously? The bastards ate right through it! Too bad it's non toxic. Am hoping they at least had bee stomachaches or green goo stuck in their bee teeth and between their little bee toes. I hope it's everywhere in their hidey hole and drives them nuts. Either way, must now add caulk to the beer trip and do this properly. Ugh.

But, just to prove my resourcefulness works out sometimes, see below:



I raided Maya's jewelry making stash as I was completely out of stitch markers. These took about 5 minutes total. I am sure the old markers are around here someplace-- in the sofa cushions, bottom of my purse, under the carseat, etc.

However, I'm also pretty sure it took less time to twist these up than it would have to find the old ones. I picked totally plain beads so Maya will never make the connection, even if she sees the markers. Crafty, huh?

It's a little Mother's Day gift she doesn't even know she gave me.

11 comments:

Holli said...

Augh -- wood cutter bees. I hate them! We had them last year and are finding them around our place again this year. They're huge and slow but man can they do damage. Glad you are putting yours out -- and yes, let's hope for a little green stomachache for them all.

PS I laughed about the "mother's day gift she doesn't even know she's given you"...that's AWESOME!

Kristen said...

Those bees are fun to watch, so slow and fat, until you see the damage they do. We've have a reoccuring problem for years, never thought of playdoh!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Cracking me up over the mother's day gift from Maya... :). Great idea.

Jan said...

Surfed over from Bellsknits. We had bees in our house a few years ago. Small hole in some of the stonework or mortar. We bought a can of expanding foam which had a long narrow tube available for the nozzle. Waited till dusk when bees were all inside and son fitted tube to nozzle and sprayed deep inside wall.. It expanded inside and out through the hole. A couple of days later when it had set properly, we sliced off stuff showing outside the hole. Problem solved.

Missus Vonkysmeed said...

lol! Thanks for the laugh, I wonder if play-doh would work on my ant visitors?

Estella said...

No caulk on the Man Shelf??? Time to get him some - Father's Day is next month.

I know what you mean about those Vacuvin corks - I need them for my wine too.

Hilary said...

Ew, the fact that the bees ate through the play-doh is so creepy! Ick. I hope they all have stomachaches, too.

Nice job with the stitch markers...very crafty indeed! :)

P.S. Totally want some of that beer. Yum.

Kym said...

Playdough is no match for bees that can chomp through wood! Between "carpenter" bees and woodpeckers, my cedar-sided house is a mess. . .

grrrrrrrrrr. . . . . .

The beer sounds divine, though!

Turtle said...

i so had to laugh at the play doh as i knew what was coming next! Yes, i was never a kid to eat play doh, glue, paper or anything that was not supposed to be on a plate! But i do remember my aunt and i walking to the creek to drop small bits of play doh to the fish, who loved to eat it! so why would bee's be any different!

Kelly said...

Had similar problem as Jan and solved it same way. All was well until the honey started running down from under the crown molding. We had honey bees. When they are trapped and die, their wings stop flapping and therefore the honey stops being cooled. It was a huge mess! We had to cut out sheet rock to find 3 strips of honeycomb about 12 inches each...and NO exterminator in our area would help us because honey bees are on an endangered list. Check out where they are actually going and what type of bee they are so you don't end up cleaning honey off the hardwoods like us! :)

Laurie said...

Yeah, thinking creepy on the bees eating playdoh, but laughing about green between bee toes.

Where does one find that luscious beer? The website says 'no' for MA.