Friday, May 21, 2010

Someone a while ago used that phrase, and I can't get it out of my head this week. I am sooo stranded on Sleeve Island. It's bad enough that sleeves go on forever, but when you reknit one 3x, they reeeeaaaaalllllly go on forever.

First, I had this big brainfart about a fitted cardigan with long sleeves that flared out at the end. Nope. Not in this lifetime, not on this body. I think I got that idea out of my system for any future designs too. Trust me when I say everyone's better off this way.

Then 3/4 ones. Nope, not as catastrophic, but not happening either. And now, back to the original plan. Basic wrist length sleeves that keep all the attention elsewhere and balance things out nicely. Fortunately, the Berroco frogs out OK and reknits without fuzzing up. Unfortunately, I tend to fuzz up instead.

And once I'm was all fuzzed up and stranded, I had my friend Sarah over for a little drink.
(which should not surprise any of you)

Sleeve Island Cooler

2 oz dark rum
splash of pineapple juice
fill glass with ginger ale
add ice cubes
add sliced half lime and squirt lots of the juice in

(and we added pineapple slices too)


The test knitting for this guy will start up in a week or so, and thanks for all the volunteers! I'm all set now, and getting ready to move on to the brown guy up in the corner there.

A few of you noticed Jess sporting it in Amy's Fit to Flatter series, and I also have a saved folder of messages from when I first knit it last year, so it's feeling like it's about time I got moving along with it. Because everyone wants to knit a woofy cabled cardigan in summer, right?


To begin, I'll answer some of the questions I got:

1. It was knit in a Debbie Bliss Merino Aran. I'm planning to publish it in an aran tweed with the same gauge. This one needs a wooly tweed with a little "body" to it, so not Kathmandu. :-(

2. To make a 34, I used almost 1400 yds. (Those ties and collar take up some yarn!)

3. I already have some test knitting volunteers, and will let you know what sizes I may still need later on.

4. And yes, I'm at a loss for brown drinks that I think sound good. (I couldn't find a good chocolate brown tweed that I loved, and I did look, so I have a green in the wings instead.)


Now back to the island. Am hoping to get off it this morning!


Chris said...

I was going to mention how excited I am with Amy's series - you guys totally rock! Your brown sweater is GORgeous. Kahlua? brown cow...

Kathleen said...

All I can think of is "Pig Island" from the Boynton Philadelphia Chickens CD. Good luck and hope it doesn't end up an octopus ;)

Sarah-Hope said...

Brown drinks: chocolate milkshake with Kahlua. Godiva makes a chocolate liqueur as well.

Green drink: something with Pernod?

Anonymous said...

Long Island Iced Tea...

Kristen said...

Mmmmm. Sounds good. The Sleeve Island Cooler that is, not Sleeve Island, which is a place I'm very well familiar with myself. It's like Gilligan's Island - you sign up for a three hour tour and yet there you are, days later, wondering when and if you're ever going to leave.

I call all drinks made with brandy or whiskey or bourbon brown drinks. Lately, I'm into shameful warm whiskey drinks like Milk Punch, universally reviled on the internet by all but me, and hot toddies. The weather's weird and warm whiskey is very comforting.

Hilary said...

Haha..."Sleeve Island"...that's perfect. Though the drink makes it almost sound like an exotic and fun place to be! And remember, for some of us, a big woofy cardigan is perfect for summer (*sigh*). ( I complain about San Francisco weather too much??) Thinking about Rhinebeck...

Turtle said...

love the flowy end of sleeve idea. Mmmmmm the drink looks so good! Dang if i don't have any of those ingredients right now! Bar basics are running low, but the scale is dipping so... will not argue! Going to go make a skinny girl margarita!

Hey, if you ever need more test knitters just yell, I am a literal OCD knitter with 38 boobies!

Shannon said...

I'm loving that cardigan - makes me want it to be fall already. I'll be stalking your website until the pattern is up . . . .

reluctantMANGO said...

My favorite brown drink...

Dark & Stormy

2 parts Goslings Black Seal Rum

4 parts Ginger Beer

Lime Wedge Garnish

Build in a Collins glass over fresh ice. Garnish with a lime wedge.

Jody said...

your concoctions always delight - almost as mucha s your designs! Keep up the GREAT work please!

QuiltedSimple said...

Love it! if you need a test knitter in a 38 for this or any other sweater, put me on the list:)