Monday, June 28, 2010

One of my favorite things is a good trashpick. The competition's fierce in here in my town (a friend once snagged a chaise lounge right out from under me when I asked her to watch it so I could drag two chairs down the street!) - but persistence pays off, and I've managed to create an entire outdoor "room" for free this summer.

The weekend was spent fixing our finds up for some summer relaxing on the big ol' concrete slab we call a patio. These chairs got a scrubbing and two cans of orange Rustoleum. I got orange sneakers, an unfortunate side effect. The wooden glider bench behind got a new batch of screws and a tighten-up, and the redwood recliners got some new cushions.

I could not love this spot more.


And yes, I should have taken a better pic of the comfy redwood chairs.


But we brought a few of these out, and the camera got left upstairs.

I'm still in need of an outdoor coffee table to hold all the various refreshments, so I'll continue to troll the curbs, but in the meantime, we have a few small tables and a platform behind the big chairs that serves as a perfect shelf .

And about the Tom Collinses? Another perfect summer drink. You can get this little box of mix at your supermarket and follow the directions. Or, you can follow the link I added to make a homemade version. I've done both. Both are great. But the box is easier!

Also in the Collins family, are these cool little boxes. They will be given away as part of the cocktail kits in my little Ravelry photo posting contest. It's been great to see all the new pics appearing -- keep it up! Remember, the photos can be of projects in progress - who knows what pics will grab the judges' attention? And you have until July 12th.


Fun, huh? Everyone needs drink umbrellas.

I'm about to begin a few new WIPs myself. And these won't be cardigans of the heavy wool variety. I'm not entirely sure what they'll end up as, but there's 1800 yds of the burnt orange laceweight (which I'll double) and 250 yds of the sport weight green.

Both projects will be small and very portable, I promise!


Since this no longer qualifies as such.

10 comments:

Turtle said...

i am with you on picking! We grew up on the outskirts of a town where the college took over population wise. These kids mostly came from money and tossed everything away! The best time of year was as they were leaving for the summer. Even the thrift shops would be full of new clothes, tags still on. My mom and i had a blast, my hubby hasn't completely caught on yet. I am revamping two deck chairs and a small table today, tried yesterday but it was a bit too breezy for the paint. Hey, if you find a cool old door you could vamp it for a coffee table.

At Home Mommy Knits said...

That is awesome that you found all of those items! I wouldn't even know where to start looking for 'free' furniture. We have been craiglisting this summer and found some great finds though for a fraction of the cost. I'll have to start doing more driving around on trash day and see what I can find :).

Carol said...

Love those orange chairs. And the orange yarn. Having an orange moment over here!

yoel said...

Wow! I'm bowing down to your trash-picking skillz!

Kathleen said...

Ah, trash picking. I remember finding some amazing satin curtains on Beacon Hill back in the day. And we found Nick's dresser (chippendale knock-off) on the curb. Love the orange chairs (and am intrigued by the orange laceweight)!

Kym said...

Ahhhh! There's nothing like a Tom Collins out on the patio on a pleasant summer day! Enjoy!

Hilary said...

Nice!! Those are some really cool chairs! There is tons of stuff to trashpick in the Mission (the best is at the Mission/Noe border), but I usually just go away with the books. Living in a small condo in the city, my husband won't let me pick the furniture. :(

Anonymous said...

Not trashpicking. Freecycling! You are in the minute. Laughing at the picture of newly orange sneakers.

Laurie said...

Oops, that was anon me.

Vicki Knitorious said...

Oh, how I love trash pickin'! And it's genetic. Two of the best Mother's Day presents were picked 'round the corner by my daughter on her way home from school!