Friday, August 27, 2010

Sometimes you need to, right? When that paper winebag from CVS just won't do.

And this is fun. It's lazy and easy and it doesn't matter what color I'll do next or how thick the stripe is. I'm deciding as I go, dipping into the stash bits bag and seeing what comes up.
I can drink while I do it - just not from the same bottle.


I can't drink this bottle anyways. It's a thank you for my friend who does my Ravelry ads. She's amused by the whole idea of yarnbombing, and I've been paying her in knitting and booze related barter each time she whips up a batch of jpegs. Having just finished the ads for Shiraz, what better to give than a yarnbombed bottle of the same?

Now if only I could crochet, she'd be getting THIS.

It's from Knitting It Old School, and it's awesome. Isn't it?? So is the book. 41 knitting, crochet and sewing patterns - seriously, 41. In one book. Pick it up, you'll love it. The sweater designs are modern takes on vintage styles & themes, and the text, photos and chapters are organized to make the whole thing a fun read, whether you plan to knit a particular pattern or not. It's a trip down memory lane, but presented so you want to make the stuff and wear it in 2010.

(or 2011 if you have a long queue)

To go with it, I took out my Grandma's bottle of Drambuie. It's from 1963, so it seemed absolutely appropriate.

1 oz drambuie
2 oz burbon
one long orange peel
shot of lemon juice
maraschino cherry and a teeny bit of the cherry juice
3 ice cubes
fill the remainder of the glass with club soda

It's sort of a Rusty Nail, but not exactly. It felt very "Honey I'm Home" and I should have been wearing a full skirt, high heels, my pointiest bra, and St Moritz, by Snowden Becker. (Except note that I'd be making the drink for ME, not my suit-wearing womanizing adguy husband. And it's hard to find a pointy bra these days, since they all come rounded and padded up already.)

and PS, Craig, you wear shorts, I know.


10 comments:

Kym said...

Very cute wine "sleeve." Very cute.

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Love the wine cozy.

Turtle said...

love the cozy, will have to go play with those end bits myself. Hadn't heard of the book, hmmm, i like your cozy better i think!

drambuie yum! Lol, i remember a sleepover where we woke up and my girlfriend had her toes sticking up from under the sheet asking "what does this remind you of?" Anette Funicello from Bikini Beach of course... her ta-ta's at least!

janna said...

So, I had to look up drambuie. I had heard of it, but didn't know what it was. And since you were mixing it with my favorite, bourbon, I had to know. I think I need to buy a bottle now.

And wikipedia says that if you make a Rusty Nail with rye (my second favorite) instead of scotch, it's called a Donald Sutherland. No explanation why, but I do like him, too....

Lisa/knitnzu said...

I'm impressed you've had a bottle of drambuie around for FORTY+ years!

Lisa/knitnzu said...

Or maybe that's distressed... you clearly needed to have invited me over at some point durint these last, oh, 30 years...

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa!

Grandma had it for 30 years - I've had it for less than one - and it won't last long, I promise.

me

Natalie said...

But you CAN knit a poodle bottle cover! There's a pattern in Simple Knits with A Twist - it is very retro and kind of fun.

Hilary said...

Oh, I love it! I'm always running out of wine bottle bag thingies...it would be great to have a stash of these at the ready. Must get on that asap. The whole book seems great. Now where to get a pointy bra...

Kim said...

Mmm....drambuie is like liquid valium...yum.