Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I don't know if anyone will remember that last year, we got an all expense paid trip to the Harbor Islands for a day of fun, and it happened through Ravelry? I go to know the lovely Carrie, Maya met a new buddy in the batch of kids, and we all had a great day out in Boston Harbor. Photos were taken and we signed some forms about usage. Well, fast forward a year, and my kids had bragging rights last night while we were out in the city with a few friends.

At first, the other kids didn't believe them, but the proof was kind of indisputable.

As for me, I'm going to stay un-famous for a bit. (The photos of me must have hit the editing room floor - and since I don't even look like my kids, you'll notice they subbed in alternate "parents" to ooh and aaah over the crabby things here.)

Instead, I'm doing a little knitting.


I started this one because the yarn wouldn't let me work on anything else. It's soft, dark purple and has cashmere in it. Plucky Knitter. I had to do it. But honestly, I have been working on it with the vaguest of plans in my head. Like no plan, really. It started with a photo from the latest J. Crew catalog, but once it got on the needles, you'd be hard pressed to believe me on that. Except maybe for the neckline.

So far, it's got a few elements that I'm finding I gravitate towards -- or should I say, it's been pointed out to me that I do? 1. It's a cardigan, 2. It has a simple vertical detail along the closure


and 3. There's some kind of a repeat of the detail on the back.
(I think I don't like the boring expanse of knitting on the back of a sweater without something - as I haven't planned this out on some of the other cardigans that also got this!)


I am truly enjoying the exercise of knitting with no real goal in mind, no deadline, no agenda, no directions that need to be followed. I have a few ideas for the band that will actually serve as a button/closure thing and I am undecided about length, border and sleeves. And that feels kind of nice - since I can make those decisions when I get there.

It's a stress free way to ease into fall knitting - I highly recommend it.

13 comments:

Turtle said...

ah, sweet models, grin! liking the knits!

Holli said...

Too Cool, Thea!!

And I love the plucky knitter cardigan. GORGEOUS!

Hilary said...

I do remember that from last year! And, my gosh, how freaking cool that your girls are on huge posters. They make great models! (But replacement parents? Weird!)

LOVING the cardigan. The yarn looks so amazing...I would want to roll around in it!

NJStacie said...

Loving that cardigan - and loving the color!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

So cool that your kids are in the photo! Can't wait to see the finished cardigan.

Sarah said...

Thea - it's gorgeous and I have to say, when you were explaining me the J. Crew inspiration, that's EXACTLY the cardigan I was thinking of. Spooky!

I think I need to make one....

Carrie said...

Ha, so cute!! And you are too gorgeous to be subbed out, it's just that tide-pooling was a better image thematically than the "faux picnic". :)

Love the new sweater too, Thea!

LEO said...

Oh that sweater's going to be great - the vertical detail on the back adds just enough interest!

Kym said...

What fun for your girls! They are rocking those "billboards." :-)

Kristen said...

Your girls are adorable! Yay for them and their celebrity debut!

And that sweater is gorgeous! Your quick sweater production rate always blows my mind. So many pretty sweaters so fast!

yoel said...

Your daughters are so cute!

Lolly said...

That is so Cool!! I'll have to tell my friends who live around Boston!

Cindy said...

I love your new knitting project. I would love to have enough knitting knowledge to just knit without a plan! Can't wait to see it!