Monday, August 02, 2010

It's time, isn't it?
And I figure accessories are the way to ease into it.

So here's Lime Rickey! Something cool, super soft, and simple to follow, worked in two pieces, so you only have HALF the yarn on your lap as you knit through these last summer days.

I wanted a scarf that would really stand out in a jacket this fall, and, playing with ruffles, I was looking for something that would be funky instead of feminine. The angled ribs have just the effect I wanted, and flare out on either side in an angled V towards the center.

This was my second design project with The Plucky Knitter, and it's worked in two skeins (450 yds) of her gorgeous Merino Alpaca Silk Worsted in Sassy. The subtle color changes are perfect for the ribs and the soft silk and alpaca feels amazing wrapped up around my neck.

My original prototype was worked in Classic Elite Renaissance from my stash. It's old stuff. I doubled the skeins and knit this up on 10s, so it's a bit thicker than the green version. I had about 600 yds doubled, so this equals around 300 yds of chunky yarn. I love this color. The texture of the yarn is a bit less drapey, a bit less soft than the Plucky.

But it still works, and I know you will go through your stashes, so here you see the pattern in a chunkier yarn. The beauty of the scarf is that gauge isn't exactly a problem, right? Again, the color is subtle and doesn't overpower the ribs, and there's a little heather going on.

If you aren't a scarf kind of knitter, there's also the Curacao Cowl.

Also free, also good lap knitting, and another statement piece to begin now and wear in a few months! It has a lot of detail to it, but is much simpler to knit than it looks. This is the other project I designed for Sarah's yarns and it takes two skeins (430 yds) of the Plucky Knitter's Merino Worsted. Again, I loved how the subtle color changes pick up the detail, and the yarn is squooshy and soft and does a lovely wrap around your neck. Stable enough not to flop over, but soft enough to feel woofy.

Happy August!

I've said waaaaay too much already. I'll save the Lime Rickey recipes for my next post.

And PS - All these lovely photos are Copyright 2010 Splityarn.


Amy said...

Total winners, Thea. They look fantastic and cozy and a little edgy and I just can't wait for fall.

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Love the knits! Thanks so much for sharing :)

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Love the knits! Thanks so much for sharing :)

Turtle said...

sweet thanks!

Carol said...

Already on the needles!

Hilary said...

Very cool! I love both of them.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.