Monday, August 30, 2010


I suggest doing this.


Our nectarines are about to go - at their sweetest, and yes, smushiest, so by tomorrow no one's going to touch them in the fruit basket. I sliced them and tossed the pieces in my tallest glass. Poured beer over, and added two ice cubes. I used a medium bodied beer (Sam Adams Boston Ale) so it has a little of its own flavor and won't get too sweet. And oh yes, it hits the spot.

I was hoping (am still...) for a blueberry ale at the pub we have our knitnight at, but the emails have already begun and I think the No's have it tonight. So, hedging my bets here, I decided to have one at home. If the Yes's chime in, I'll join, but it is absolutely past beer thirty, and there's about 8 kids in my yard running around, and this is going down oh so nicely. I really, really, really recommend it as a use for that about-to-go summer fruit.

If there were blueberries in the fridge, I'd have done that, but necessity IS the mother of invention, isn't it?


For those of you looking at the knitting, I've got this. Still working on the unplanned, figure-it-out as you go project. And I do like it. It's going to be a long, open cardigan with a big floppy collar and deep closure bands. No buttons, so can I call them that? Closure band. Hmmm. I can pin it if I want, or wear it open, or belt it. I'm picturing it with skinny jeans (it'll cover my ass, so I can wear them!) boots, and some kind of a V necked top.



All I have left to figure out are the sleeves. Am thinking longish short sleeves, with a deep folded cuff. Yes? No? This is the back, because as I mentioned before, I seem to have a leaning. Patterns on either side of the cardigan closure, and a repeat on the back. On a shorter cardigan, it draws attention UP from the tush. On this one, it's just fun.

And speaking of fun, a finished winebag!

All I need is the good bottle of Shiraz to replace the cheapo stand in I've been using.

11 comments:

Anna said...

Good Plan B!

theotherSarah said...

Nectarines, blueberries, you're making me crave summer (still being winter here). Love the colour of the long cardigan.

Carol said...

Guess you finished those extra few inches after we left you. That yarn is so gorgeous in color and feel. It will make a great long cardi.

Jillian said...

The cardi is looking great so far - I'm excited to see it when it's finished!

Olivia said...

Please do the fold up cuff. I have some yarn just waiting for this one. Madeline Tosh, Tart.

Let me know if you need a test knit.

Danielle said...

Cute sweater!

Hilary said...

Whoa, great idea! It almost sounds like a beer sangria. Yum! The sweater looks awesome. I like the idea of short sleeves with deep cuffs but, you know, I also love the look of it as it is - almost sleeveless. You could probably get away with doing a super-short sleeve and have it be kind of vesty. But whatever you do, it's going to be great!

Vicki Knitorious said...

Oh yum. And also, what in the world? You can do that with blueberries, too? There's a whole new world opening up to me now...

Anonymous said...

Olivia -- I might. Give me your email or Ravelry name so we can chat!

Thea

olivia said...

Thea,
You can find me on Ravelry under name Sethney. Photo is of my cat Sting.

Also, email olivia@sethney.com

Patty said...

Love what I'm seeing here. All of it!