Sunday, August 22, 2010

My first pattern for the fall!
Say hi to Shiraz.

I know a wine variety is not an actual cocktail, but it seems appropriate for cooler weather to have a glass of red again, and the color of this yarn just is very Red Wine. Deep, smooth red wine.


This cardigan is due in no small part, to my friend Amy's Fit to Flatter series, something that has kept my knitting friends chatting for the past few months. We've been evaluating what we each look good in, and how to modify the designs we love for our shapes so that they work the best they can on us. We are knitters, after all, and we should be able to make things perfect if we're creating the thing from scratch, yes??


So, I wanted to create a design versatile enough that it would flatter a number of different body types - and I wanted to construct it in a way that would allow knitters the freedom to play with it for their own specific needs. Without re-inventing the wheel (or the pattern), so to speak. I wanted mods on this to be easy.


So, this is knit top down, and you can adjust the length or width as you need. You can create short sleeves or long, or 3/4 ones. The textured hourglass in the center draws the eye in towards your waist, and visually creates a proportional, feminine shape. Button placement can also mix it up nicely, as it affects where and how the closure nips in.


I wrote the pattern with buttons only in the center, for the hourglass effect. That said, you can put them anywhere. They can just close the top, "February Lady" style, they can run the entire length of the cardigan for a traditional fit, or they can begin in the center and go down to the bottom, leaving the top open. Each option gives the hourglass a different feel, and flatters a different body type.


You can see I've already made two versions for myself. The details remain the same, but the fit and the silhouette are a little different. The first (darker) one is knit in Berroco Vintage, the other (lighter) in Cascade 220.



The Cascade version is knit as the pattern is written - hip length, a bit fitted, buttons in the center to create a nice long V above and below the waist. The Berocco one is a variation on the theme - I went shorter and added ease in the body. (specific mods are here - and you'll see, it's easy. You don't have to veer off the pattern to do it!)


On both of mine, I kept the buttons at the center, as that's what works best on me.
Once my test knitters post their pics on Rav, you will see a few button variations!


Details are on Ravelry, but here are a few:

Yarn: Cascade 220, Berocco Vintage Wool, 850-1700 yds
Needles: US6/4mm and US7/4.5mm
Sizes: 32,34,36,38,40,42,44,46,48, and 50 (2" ease in pattern)

Gauge: 4.5 sts, 7 rows per inch on #7s

----------------

So that's Shiraz. I hope you guys have some fun with it!

-------------------

All those awesome pics? Copyright 2010 Splityarn. Big thanks.


19 comments:

Amber said...

Love it. Especially the wine version. Today is the kind of day that makes me think of starting sweaters. How lovely! =)

Holli said...

Awesome, Thea! And you look fantastic in both versions!

Vicki Knitorious said...

Wine is good! Fantastic design!!

Amy said...

Just love it, Thea. The pictures came out so well, too!

Dani said...

It's gorgeous Thea! I can see a lot of my customers wanting to knit this

Carol said...

Gorgeous. Love the hourglass detail.

janna said...

I love it! I've been queuing sweaters lately - I guess Fall is coming, even if it's still almost 90 outside.

Turtle said...

luv it, and hey wine... it's the year round classic!

Kym said...

Just went to the top of my queue. . . with a bullet! Nice design, Thea! (And I LOVE the photos.)

KatJobson said...

Gorgeous I tell you, what a cute cardi and I love the vintage purply wine color. This will be a must buy/must knit.

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

I just saw this pattern on Ravelry tonight and I love how casual it is. It looks great with jeans!

Lolly said...

That's a cool pattern! I'm trying to decide on a pattern for my DIL. I hope someone will knit it with buttons all the way down the front.

Thea said...

Lolly - one of my test knitters began the buttons at the bust and did continue them down to the bottom - she hasn't posted the photo on Rav yet, but I'm sure she will!

(since the neck is a little 'vee-d', you can't begin them at the tippy top, you'd still have a little V and could probably begin them 2-3 inches down.)

Kathryn said...

I love it, Thea! I'm thinking on my shape, I'd go fitted, but longern through the middle section. Do you have any "bottom heavy" test knitters? I love to see it on that shape.

Anonymous said...

Kathryn, I did. Sillcy was one,and she showed ME a pic of it on her all done, but was shy about posting that and has only the flat ones up.

She kept her buttons a bit higher, and went for the "swingy" look. I bet you could message her on Rav and ask her thoughts.

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Love them! The variations are great, I love when a pattern is easy to modify. Beautiful fall knit.

Hilary said...

LOVE this design! The turned ribbing looks awesome and the seed stitch "hourglass" is such a great idea! Well done on another great design!!

yoel said...

Super cute!

grannyannie said...

Very handsome, Thea. Your best yet! A great design with nice detailing.