Wednesday, September 29, 2010


Sorry for the silence, it's been a busy week. The first two weeks of school are nothing, and it's always the third when they get moving with who needs what. Shoes, cupcakes, volunteering, all the forms, and then the load of homework begins.

On the upside, I now have an Amazing Pumpkin Cupcake recipe, with a lemon zest cream cheese frosting. They were the first tray to empty at last night's bake sale. But I think Maya may have pushed extra hard on them, so the results could've been a little rigged.

-----------

Back to the Trunk Show, for those of you wondering. I did manage to croak out my speech, and it worked out just fine. There were 20-something people there, a tables' worth of knits to play with, and another table of Dark and Stormies for drinking.

The unexpected bonus was the buy one, get one free sale!


For me, one of the best parts was watching everyone put on the knits. At first, I have to say it was a little strange. I mean, they're my sweaters, you know, the ones in my closet, that I wear.. But I got over that weirdness in a few minutes, as it was so great to see how everyone looked in them, and what was flattering to each person.



I brought this one and it was the best one to watch. Everyone had a different way of wearing it - and it looked great on all of them, so yes, it will get written up eventually. Modeling it above is Ann, of Weaverknits, who stopped in. For those of you who don't know her stuff, she has some very cool ideas, knows how to add a new slant to a traditonal element, and has written some beautiful patterns. She also just published her own book, Craft Work Knit. Worth checking out!

She just flipped the edge up on the cardigan and pinned it, and voila, it looked amazing. So, we had it up, we had it down, we had it open, we had it over a shoulder, we pinned it at the top, and we pinned it down at the waist. I'm going to need a drink with a lot of different recipe options to represent this guy.

But in the meantime, I have to get knitting!


Rhinebeck is only a few weeks away!

Will I meet any of you there??

8 comments:

Turtle said...

i soooo wish i could say i would be at rhineback, but with daughter off in college, etc the budget sadly says a short and quick No! :(

what fun that would be, the trunk show... how much damage did you do at the sale, lol?

Found the American Honey last night, sipped a bit and yum! That will be heading up to the camp with me tomorrow...along with a gallon of cider! After all, fall is here and it gets a bit nippy at night, will be perfect around the fire, smiles!

Anna said...

Who are those maniacs with the Felted Tweed?

Kym said...

I love Ann Weaver! Her mom was one of my daughter's all-time-favorite teachers (middle school; English). I always love seeing her posing in Ann's designs!

So glad the trunk show was a success! What fun for you!

Batty said...

So glad you weren't too sick to go! I can just imagine how weird it must be to have people trying on your clothes, but I guess that's the whole point of a trunk show. It looks like a good time was had.

Not going to Rhinebeck this year... not sure about next year either, but the year after that, I'm so there!

Anonymous said...

Will you share your pumpkin cupcake recipe? It would be lovely if you would....even if it isn't a drink.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

Sure thing anon - I'll put it in my next post! Which is delayed as this week is a nutty one.....

Hilary said...

Congrats on the successful trunk show! It sounds like some serious fun was had by all. I can see how it would be weird at first seeing everyone try on items in your wardrobe...but how cool to see folks wear them their own way! I wish I could have been there!

No Rhinebeck for me this year. :( Months ago I thought I could make it work, but some things have come up. Good things, but I'm still bummed!

Seanna Lea said...

I enjoyed meeting you at the trunk show and definitely will be knitting up a Dark and Stormy after I finish the latest round of speed knitting (30 tiny projects in 40 days).