Friday, September 24, 2010

I am very far behind on the booze around here, due to various and sundry annoying illnesses. And because someone up there hates me, my latest affliction is laryngitis. Yep, I can't talk today. Keep in mind: I am giving A Talk tomorrow in Milton. Where I'm supposed to BE talking.

That brings me to the first drink up there. Fall is coming, and winter too. And someone else will have a sore throat besides me. So see that bottle of American Honey? It's burbon with Honey in it already. So smooth and tasty. Pour that in a cup of tea and add a slice of lemon before bed. It's like a hot toddy all premade in a bottle. In the interest of full disclosure, this was the stuff I had in my flask at Rhinebeck last year - it was WAY good added into that $1 cup of hot cider.

Anyways, I'm going to have one of those tonight before bed, and I'm spending the entire day alone, so I keep my trap shut and I'm going to hope for the best tomorrow. Or I'm going to whisper loudly at the trunk show and hope the sweaters and the drinking distract everyone from the fact that I'm just not that entertaining when I can't speak.

The second thing up there is the bottle of Post Road Pumpkin Ale. I know there are a lot of pumpkin ales on the shelf, but trust me. This is the good one. Buy it when you see it, because it will be gone the next time you hit the store. It's not too sweet and it's perfectly pumpkiny.

The third option is an easy cocktail - and it's orange to match the changing leaves. (Cute, huh?)
My friend Ann made this for me and I loved it, so I can't take credit for the idea. However, I sure can share it! You need the San Pellegrino Aranciata orange beverage. It's NOT orange soda. I repeat - DO NOT USE ORANGE SODA. I think Orangina would work too, but if you can find this stuff, get it. You need a less sweet orange bubbly beverage. It's a half glass kind of thing, but if you need a full glass, just double the amts.

1 oz tequila
1/2 can of Aranciata
1 shot of lime juice or 1/2 sliced lime

It's so good! Kind of like an orangey, bubbly margarita. But not so icy and summery.


As for the knitting in front of the bottles, it's the second part of my pre-Rhinebeck Stashdown. This big batch of tweed needs to go too before I can purchase.

The project is not ready to share yet, but think tweedy sweatercoat, with a cool collar, a little lace, and some big ass buttons. Although I still could change my mind on some of that.


Jillian said...

I love a good pumpkin ale! I might have to stock up on some to enjoy once this baby finally makes an appearance!

Renee said...

Oh crap, what a lousy time to lose your voice! Sending get well fast vibes and putting faith in your Hot Toddy!

Will toast you from here tomorrow.

janna said...

When I was in San Antonio last spring visiting my sister, she had lemon honey, which was also great mixed with bourbon and a little hot tea. Almost makes me wish for a sore throat.... (just kidding - get better!)

S. said...

American Honey sounds good - I have a cold, ttoo. maybe i can get this in Germany as well?

Batty said...

How about this one: take a shot glass of bourbon, juice from about a quarter of a lemon, and a big spoon of honey, mix in a mug. Bring a cup of water to a boil and stir into honey/lemon/bourbon mixture. There's your hot toddy -- Mr. Batty calls it home-made NyQuil.

Hope you feel better soon!

Seanna Lea said...

It was great meeting you even if you and the rest made me have unbelievable shoe envy!

To the ravelry to buy the pattern for that sweater that looked almost perfect on me!

Turtle said...

i have had that pumpkin ale and yes, it is one of the better ones! Must look for the american honey, i think sitting by the fire at camp that is much necessary!

good luck with the voice, of course it is past as i type this so......

Hilary said...

All I can say is...mmmmmmm....

Kym said...

Hope you were in great form for your talk! The drinks look great!