Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I know we all manage stash differently, but I've always had a very limited budget and a teeny storage spot. It ALL has to fit in one trunk. Which can be a challenge if you're talking sweater quantities of worsteds and arans, right?


So I keep it moving, and my rule with festival yarn is that the old stuff has to get knit up before I'm clear to buy new. And hey, Rhinebeck = Oct 17! So here you go. One bag down.
I do love those #9 needles. It was quick, mindless TV knitting (thanks to Buffy and the vamps)


Drapey, soft, creamy, fluffy aran alpaca. I figured it would be perfect in one of those big slouchy sweaters I keep seeing in the stores. Except I'm way short, and a bit curvy, so alot of them are overwhelming on my frame. I tried to made this one custom to compensate -- The tips go down to my mid thigh exactly, the fronts aren't huge down MY front, the width got nipped in at the back, and I added short sleeves. And although I do think this is about as good as unstructured is going to get on me, I think I like it better with a little structure!


Just look how cool that pins in! I love how the tips line up off kilter.

It still does work this way, the length is good and the fronts actually drape as they should, but I'm going to bet I wear it the other way more often than not.

As for drinks, I owe you all many. I've had a bout with Vertigo and trust me, the LAST think I needed was a drink. (way dizzy enough, for about a month!) But I've moved on to the common cold now, and the beverages will commence again.

It's almost time for my favorite fall treat - Post Road Pumpkin Beer!

14 comments:

Chris said...

That is a super cute and comfy looking layering piece. I'm built a lot like you, so thanks for the guidance! Hope you feel better soon.

QuiltedSimple said...

Oh I like this one - it will be great clear through til spring.
Kris

karen said...

This looks great! I love it, and love the drape!

Hilary said...

I LOVE a slouchy wrap sweater. Yours is so comfy-looking and chic, and I adore it in that cream color!

I'm glad to hear you're not dizzy anymore, but I hope your cold clears up soon!

Turtle said...

like the sweater! the texture of the fiber as well! mmmm, the beer sounds yummy! There is a brewery in newport that makes the best blueberry ale...miss that! Hubby so needs to get off his okole and start a new brew!

Renee said...

very cute! Like it pinned up better too.

S. said...

It looks very nice! Pinned up is better!

gigi knits said...

Love this sweater.. Is the pattern one of your??

Amber said...

You and me both with the Post Road. I think we should do knitting and Post Road soon :) xo!

Michelle said...

I was in Boston over the weekend and I ordered a pumpkin beer and they served it in a glass with cinnamon sugar on the rim. That was really tasty... brought out the pumpkin flavor. I'm definitely trying that at home.

Dani said...

I love it Thea! Are you thinking of writing up a pattern for this?

Anonymous said...

Love this!! Pattern please .....

Laurie said...

I'm impressed by your discipline. Nice, warm, fashionable knit. As always.

Bells said...

that's dead cute. It's like a comfy house coat that's stylish enough to wear out in to the world!

Shiraz is done! I just need to do a photo shoot.