Friday, October 08, 2010


Rhinebeck's still a week away and, yes, I have satisfied the requirement. Between the white drapey cardi and this one, I've used up my yarn batches, and am ready for some purchasing.

woo hoo! I ended up with two new designs to boot, so I'm going to say I'm extra justified in spending a few bucks. The white drapey number is about to go into test knitting, and this guy is getting worn around the house so I can decide if I want to change anything before copying my scattered pages of notes into some semblance of a pattern.

So far, I'm having a hmmm moment about the collar, which you'll notice is NOT in the pics. I love it in theory. In practice, it's needing a little more attention. I am seriously loving the twisted button toggles and the leaves, and the color. The funky brown reminds me of mulled cider, don't you think? It's a brownish gray tweed, with tons of little teal and red and blue and green flecks.

It's Bartlett Yarn, from the NH Sheep and Wool festival. Kind of sheepy and wooly. Honestly, if I had been thinking when I ordered my SHELTER, I'd have knit this out of that (which would not have helped me in the purchase goal dept...) but by the time the yarn came along, I was already up my ill-fated fronts, and my order was neither the right color nor the right amount. However, this is on gauge for SHELTER, and the pattern will be written with that and a few other tweed options you can find at your LYS included in the yarn recommendations.


Below, another pic of the twisted button toggles. I'm seriously happy about these. Even sewed them down in the twist position. And they exist all because the first toggle was a bit long. The question was to either reknit or play with it. I played with it.

This could be my Sunday sweater at the festival, if I happen to figure out the collar.

while drinking spiked cider.
I'll save a mulled recipe for when I show you the whole cardigan!

Spiked Cider

2 oz Burbon
shot of lemon
1 oz cointreau
fill the remainder of the cup, either with hot or cold cider.

(at the fair, I'll have to do without the lemon...)

13 comments:

Kathy said...

Looking good, even collar-less :-)

Kym said...

Love the stitch pattern, Thea! Really nice! :-)

Zonda said...

Wow, I love what you've shown so far! Have fun at Rhinebeck :)

Carol said...

I'll bring one of those squirty bottles of lemon!

Anonymous said...

Really liked hearing the source of twisted inspiration. I'm looking forward to medicated collar treatment.

Laurie said...

Oops. That was me.

Jody said...

I love this piece with its twisted toggles - I'll be on the look out for it!

Renee said...

Another lovely knit!
Happy yarn shopping, wish I could join you. :)

Peaceful Knitter said...

Love the twisted toggle closures! Isn't it great when an oops turns into innovation?

Sarah said...

Nice! I've been thinking about designs with twisted toggle loops since noticing such a detail in a '40s period movie...

Dani said...

Looks pretty Thea!

Sarah-Hope said...

Excellent details!

Hilary said...

Oh yeah, the twisted toggle thingies are fantastic. They go so perfectly with the stitch pattern going up the sides. It all looks elven to me for some reason (and I love elven).