Wednesday, October 06, 2010

I am waaaaay distracted these days. And a mail delivery like THIS doesn't help the situation. I can't stop touching it. It's soft. So soft. I ordered 8, in Faded Quilt, and I have no plans for it yet. But I love it. And I can't stop touching it.


That's PART of the distraction problem, but not the whole thing. It's not that I'm not knitting, mind you, but I cannot keep the focus on what I need to be focused ON. I"m divided, scattered, kind of restless. And there's a lot going on, so I kind of can't be.

First off, I got ALL the way through the fronts on my
yes-I-can-design-and-knit-another-sweater-for-Rhinebeck project, only to realize that I'd flipped them and worked the armholes and designs where they wouldn't meet up with the back. And yep, I did that sober. Diana can vouch, since she was there to mock me when I laid the finished fronts on the back for the big reveal. So yes, that's about 20 years knitting and I'm still an idiot.

I have two sweaters in editing and testing, one in writing, and one in knitting. Plus 2 new designs in sketching, and a gorgeous pile of Red Plucky yarn that'll get its own post soon. However, I spend like 15 minutes on each project before I find myself jumping back into another. What is that? Knitters ADD. Is it Rhinebeck? October? Being off the Nyquil after 2 months of yuck? Or that I need to get back to the steady cocktails?


I'm going to go with the steady cocktails for now, as I also need to find the perfect Collins recipe for this, the already-finished-with the fronts-on-correctly Rhinebeck sweater. This is called Collins, (hence the drink quest) and it'll be published right about festival time.

--------------

Speaking of Rhinebeck - do you all know about Rhinebeck Bingo?

I've never done it before, but it sounds hilarious. You get a bingo card and check off the bloggers you see as you wander around the fair. Stitchy McYarnpants is organizing, and it gives us all an excuse to go up and say hi and meet the peeps on your card. I think there is a lot of pointing and hugging and photo taking involved. There could be squealing if you're the reason someone gets a win. I'm not so sure how I feel about the squealing, but I'm going to be a square, and I'm going to be a player as well. Playing will be interestng, since I'm blind as a bat and my festival buddy Carol will have to identify my squares for me and point me in the correct direction across the field. Depending on how much burbon we've added to our cider, she might mess with me.

Anyone can sign up to play, but you need to be on Ravelry or have a blog to be a square. Depending on your stalker/stalkee preferences, you can do either/or.

Of course, the more people who sign up, the more fun it is. So far, theres 123 players in the Rav group! Check out Stitchy's page for the details and get in on it! Signups close on 10/9.

--------------

In other Rhinebeck preparation news, I got a new haircut with bangs again. Hats look so much better with bangs on my head. And they cover those forehead stripes, also important.

What's your Rhinebeck hat going to be?? I'm thinking beret.

23 comments:

At Home Mommy Knits said...

I hope you have a blast at Rhinebeck....the bingo sounds like so much fun!

Tante J said...

Loving the Collins. Thanks goodness it won't be coming out for a little bit longer. It give me a chance to free up the needles just in time!

And so good to hear your reviews of Shelter! I can't wait to squeeze (and buy) when I go to Purl on Monday (if there is any left!!!!)

caro said...

I think I'm going to need to feel that Shelter. I'm very curious about it.

Firefly said...

Faded Quilt?! What a great name! Makes me want to buy it just for the name.
And I so get the ADD thing, I have a very serious case of it -- jump from project to project all the time. I have to have at least two things (preferably 3 or 4) going all the time ;-).
Have fun at Rhinebeck!

Dani said...

Ok seriously. I have had faded quilt in my cart, out of the cart. In the cart, out of the cart. It's gorgeous!

I love that Rhinebeck sweater. I can't wait to see the pattern. Lovely colour on you as well.

I get craft ADD all the time. Jump from the sewing machine to the loom. Loom to the knitting. Knitting to whatever else grabs me. Some days are so much worse than others!

Dani said...

BTW - if I were to buy some Shelter, any chance it would work for Collins? Are you at the point of knowing about how much yardage (for a 34" bust)?

Anonymous said...

LOVE the Rhinebeck sweater...gorgeous color...can't wait for the pattern along with others...you have wonderful designs...

Diane

Pipany said...

Hi there, I'm new to your blog, but it all looks fab so am off for a look round. Love the name Faded Quilt! x

Holli said...

Oh, the Collins is gorgeous (and what a fab photo too!). Loving the sound of Rhinebeck Bingo...hysterical.

Olivia said...

Shelter is at Churchmouse as well. I can't decide what color and what to do next. I think there is a little KnitADD in all of us.

Reinbeck is on my list to attend but not this year so you will have to party for me. Have FUN

Hilary said...

Dude. That dusty blue yarn is seriously pretty. And Collins...swoon. Great photo, too -- I love the cool blue background.

Rhinebeck bingo sounds hilarious! How fun...I'm totally jealous. :)

Chris said...

I've been sitting on my hands since Shelter came out so I don't buy a sweater's worth in every color. So hard to resist! I've been looking forward to Collins. It's really lovely. Super jealous of you guys at Rhinebeck. Again. Have a great time!

Carol said...

My Faded Quilt arrived on Monday and I've already started the Terra shawl with it. It is gorgeous.
Now, the bingo thing. I will definitely be able to spot and name the designs walking by but thinking not so much the actual knitters' names. I'll try though. Unless I get too tipsy on spiked cider.

Carol said...

p.s. What are you going to let me borrow for Rhinebeck???

Zonda said...

Love the back of Collins! So interesting to hear everyone comment about just how soft Shelter is, it doesn't look like it would be. Looking forward to hearing how it knits up. Have fun at Rhinebeck!

Ruth said...

Wait ... what? Brooklyn Tweed makes YARN? What rock have I been hiding under?!?

p.s. Collins looks wonderful!

Ariane said...

Jealous about:
A) Brooklyn Tweed yarn
B) Rhinebeck
C) Collins

Patty said...

Hmmm I was going to start Dark and Stormy but Collins in very intriguing! Love, love, love the cables Thea!

knitngreen said...

I have Shelter envy! looks wonderful. Wish I were traveling to Rhinebeck - I got to two local fests this season and see a road trip to Maryland and Rhinebeck in my future!

Wendy said...

Gosh that looks nice - I might have to get me some - great color! I'm so jealous about Rhinebeck - it's my husband's 40th birthday, so no sheep for me! Can't wait to live vicariously through you.

Kristen said...

So when are you going to start your OWN yarn line?

Dawn said...

Ha-ha - I got sucked in too! I got some Shelter in Hayloft (gold) and I love the depth of color and feel of it. Now... What to make!

Seanna Lea said...

You might be one of those people who has too much energy to easily focus on one thing to a useful level of completion. Hence, cocktails and colds are not deterrents to your productivity.

I'm like that in bursts where I get a week's worth of productivity done in a day and then am useless for a few days.