Thursday, November 04, 2010

Here's one I didn't plan.

But sometimes good things happen when you aren't paying attention, right? I saw the Essie colorway while working on Dark & Stormy, and figured I could probably buy a batch if I asked nicely (taking full advantage of my working relationship with Sarah to cut in line, right?)

Anyways, my ploy worked and a few weeks later, 6 skeins of this stuff arrived on my doorstep. The yarn arrived early in summer, while I was busy with Collins and Shiraz and had just a little more to do on the Dark & Stormy, so I put it into the stash.

By late summer my fingers were twitching for the yarn, but I had only a vague idea what I wanted. A long cardigan with a uninterrupted collar - something that would fold back seamlessly, regardless of where you folded it.

I just began knitting and the cardigan kind of evolved as I went. I think I needed something simple and soothing after the triple play of Shiraz, Collins and Dark & Stormy. It was perfect and I totally loved the break from the more complex cardigans! Plus, it was summer - and an easy drinking knit was much appreciated on those hot days.

Anyways, towards the end, I knew I'd be writing it up. It's super easy, extremely versatile , and works in a variety of worsted weight yarns.

You can pin the fronts closed anywhere along the bands - high or low - depending on your outfit, taste or whim. You can wear it open, like I tend to do, or you can take a cool belt and wrap it around the middle. No matter what you do with it, the collar falls and drapes perfectly forwards or backwards and looks great.

I added the lace columns down the front to keep the lines long and flattering, and to draw the eye inwards towards the center. On the back, a similar panel begins just below the arms and does the same thing. The lace is a simple repeat, and it looks great in yarn with some subtle detail to it. On a long panel, I think it just lightens things up a bit to have holes!

Since it's knit from the top down, you can easily customize things for your taste. It would work at almost any length, and sleeves could be short or long. The fit is meant to be generous in front, for a good drape when open and a nice overlap when pinned. Through the shoulders and sleeves, it's more fitted, and the back is a little loose, but still straight.

The pattern is written in sizes 32-50.

Yardage requirements:
1100(1200,1300,1400,1500,1600,1700,1800,1900,2000) yards of worsted weight merino.

on #7s, 5 stitches and 7 rows per 1" in stockinette, lightly blocked.

More info is on Ravelry, right here.

And of course, there's a drink to go with it.

This one's a little lighter than the actual purple of the sweater, because in order to get things THAT purple, you'd be drinking blackberry syrup. Creme de Cassis is a bit sweet and heavy, but the vermouth, lime and champagne balance it pretty nicely. It's a little sweet, a little bubbly and a little sour. Kind of a tidbit drink.

I was thinking this could be a good Thanskgiving cocktail for when everyone arrives and is milling around the cheese and crackers? Kind of fun and festive and a little different, maybe.

Cassis Tidbit

1 oz creme de cassis
2 oz dry vermouth

pour the creme and vermouth in a short glass over ice

Add about 4-5 oz of champagne.
Add 1-2 slices of lime (squeeze the juice in)

anyways, enjoy!


Jess said...

I love the back details!

JoAnn said...

Beautiful!!! What a unique design in the back. Such a clever idea to break up the boredom of all stockinette in the back. Love it!

Jillian said...

Wow! I love this sweater. It looks great!

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

This is exactly what I've been looking for! I'm going over to Ravelry now!!!!

Sarah Jackson said...

I adore this! I may even have great yarn for it....

Amy said...

It's just perfect!

Kym said...

Thea! You're just cranking out those gorgeous sweaters! Keep it up. Just lovely.

Sarah said...

Ooh that is gorgeous

Zonda said...

Love it! Looks so comfy! Pondering what yarn I have in the stash...wait, I need to knit the other 2 of yours first ;)

Kathleen said...

Gorgeous, Thea. The yarn is so yummy-looking, and the cocktail is right up my alley ("Oh, champagne! I've never had enough.") The long length and short sleeves look like a great combo.

KatJobson said...

WOW, love the back detail, love the longer length, it is just gorgeous. The yarn is perfect too!

t does wool said...

gorgeous knit!!

Hilary said...

Yep, that's awesome. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE how the pattern on the back doesn't start until the underarm area. What a cool idea. And, geez, the color of that yarn is pretty spectacular.

Modisch Schreibt said...

The elbow length sleeve is my absolute favorite! The cardigan is so gorgeous and inspires me to make one like is this winter. :)