Friday, December 17, 2010

This is my latest collaboration with Sarah, The Plucky Knitter. We wanted to come up with something for when you have a little less than a whole sweater's worth of yarn (or time) on hand. To be honest, I was glad for the excuse since the image of a cowl and boots and a capelet had stayed high on my list of Must Haves ever since she taunted me with this blog post in August.

And now we can all have them!

This was knit out of Plucky's gorgeous MCN Lite, in Peep Toes.

There are three sizes: S (32-36) 700 yds, M (38-42) 950 yds, and L (44-50) 1200 yds.

Gauge = 5 sts, 7 rows per 1" on #7 needles, lightly blocked.

The PDF is available for $6, either on the sidebar here or Ravelry, with the rest of the details.

-----------------

More important for right now, while you're surfing the interwebs between holiday lunch and your Christmas shopping at work, though, are the photos and design details right?


----------------

Some fun with ribbing.



A cross between a turtleneck and a cowl, slouchy and open but not too big.



A big flowy cable balancing out the simpler lines of the ribbing and drawing the eye to the center.
(It's the same on the front and the back).



A short, more flattering length near the elbow, so your waist shows below.


And a little flare, keeping things from drawing in under the bust, and making that waist look even smaller underneath. Plus a little last bit of ribbing detail.



I'm thinking the flare and the length keep those hands and arms free for a drink ;-)

And burbon was the clear winner in the burbon vs. rum question last night.

And this sparkly drink seems perfect for a pre-holiday dinner or a cocktail party, doesn't it?



2 oz burbon
1 oz drambuie (cointreau or triple sec could work here too)
fill remainder of glass with Martinelli's sparkling apple cranberry juice.
Add slice of lime and squeeze the juice in
ice cubes

Or a little less sweet:

2 oz burbon
1 oz drambuie (cointreau or triple sec)
rest of the glass:
2 parts cranberry juice
1 part ginger ale
Add slice of lime, squeeze the juice in
ice cubes

My holiday theme is complete - Enjoy!

(PS - Edwidge, I totally thought of you while taking my drink photos....)

7 comments:

KatJobson said...

Ohhhh you have done it again, I love this Capelet. A whole poncho just doesn't work for me, I have bought two from Banana Republic, cashmere a few, well maybe quite a few back and I never wear them because it bugs me that my arms aren't free. This I love, the color, the cables, the ribbing and even the cocktail. Thank you so very much.

Chris said...

Utterly LOVELY, Thea! Everything about it is fabulous. I want to drop all my other knitterly commitments and make it right this minute.

Turtle said...

mmmm to both! Will be looking at some fibers this weekend just for it! Started a cabled dog sweater for a friend last night. Must finish it by sunday.

Hilary said...

Yep, still love this. The proportions are just so perfect and the cables and ribbing so squishy and delicious! I can totally see making this with cashmere and wearing it allll winter long. Awesome design!

Seanna Lea said...

I love the design and want one of those drinks stat (probably the less sweet one).

Dani said...

it's gorgeous Thea!

Renee said...

Oh love!
Perfect for snuggling at home too whilst knitting or reading a book to stay cozy - and as you pointed out - arms free to drink. :)