Wednesday, January 05, 2011


Guess who's baaack?

We're starting off 2011 with old friends of the human and not-so human variety over here. Remember the Great BBQ Mouse Fiasco of 2007? I think their mouse grandchild is spending the day in my family room with me, much to his dismay. (The notes were for the girls, who were asleep when he was caught.)

Craig and I saw this little guy run across the floor last night, and couldn't believe we were quick enough to get him under here. But now we're a little hmmm on next steps. Last time we did this, I was CONVINCED I could get him with the tongs if Craig just picked up the edge of the colander. Craig was skeptical, but I was totally sure, crouching there with the tongs at the ready. And yeah, he picked it up and the little dude was gone like a bat out of hell, under the fridge. I didn't even get a tong snap in his general vicinity, and my catlike reflexes have been in doubt ever since.

So he's there. And I'm here. And I'm not skittish or anything, but am feeling a little guilty that he's stuck and hanging out and I know Craig will kill me if I just let him go, so I'm going to try to ignore him until after work tonight when we can come up with a better plan.

3pm Edit: Just went to do the slide under trick and was too late. RIP mousie.

(and we won't be making pasta tonight -- with that colander anyways)


At least I have something to keep me busy in the meantime (ahem).

Stuck in a serious swatching rut still - oy! - even after the holidays had passed, I knew some kind of big move was needed to get past the spitballing phase and back into some actual knitting. Of course, the problem has to be a lack of inspirational yarn - and although you might think I'm being sarcastic, I'm not. I have almost no current stash.

Here it is:

1. random single or double skeins for swatching
2. 2 scarves' worth of worsted
3. 400 levtover yards of Kathmandu tweed
4. a sweater's worth of Sportweight tweed from Rhinebeck
5. a shawl's worth of Frog Tree Alpaca Sport I bought for a shawl I'll never make

That's pretty much IT. But not anymore, no siree. Now I'm looking at these and ready to get moving (at least in theory) I need to figure out which comes first: the brown tweed knit dress, blue worsted spring pullover, or the purple kinda dainty cardigan I have in mind. And I do think it's going to work - as soon as I'm done typing here, that Cascade's getting wound. How's that for some purchase justification? A little instant gratification goes a long way in the jump start department, dont you think?

And just to prove I was definitely in need of a little something.

While exchanging holiday gifts yesterday, I just decided I could hit Target OR..... I poked my head into a salon I'd never been to, asked if they had time for a walk in, and said "Cut it off." And they did. I warn you, this might affect my next neckline decision.

25 comments:

Dani said...

Cute haircut! I like it!

As for the mouse - do you have something thin and stiff like a cutting mat? Just slide it under the colander until the mouse would be standing on it. Then you can carry the whole thing outside and let him go somewhere. (unless of course you mean Craig would kill you if you let him go at all....then maybe that would be a bad idea :) )

Seanna Lea said...

Wow. That is quite a haircut. Looks great!

I will probably never stop thinking of you with the pony tail though. It's the first way I met you, and the image is stuck in my head!

Vanilla said...

I love the wool in your picture!
What yarn are those lavender skeins? Such a great color! I am anxious to see what you'll be knitting with them.

Kathy said...

Your hair looks awesome, Thea! I love it!!

As for the mouse, we have the same issue -- my husband is an expert mouse catcher though -- one of those talents that you can't put on your resume, but is really helpful in life!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Cute haircut! Sorry about the mouse...no suggestions though. Can't wait to see what knitting project you work on next. Happy New Year.

Tante J said...

With all the knitting you've been doing I'm not surprised you've run out of stash. I look forward to the day mine runs so low (wow I never thought I'd write that!). LOVE the new do!

Holli said...

Happy New Year, Thea! LOVE your new haircut -- what a fun way to start the new year. Good luck with the mouse (I'm extremely skittish around those little four legged guys), and happy knitting.

CelticCastOn said...

I was in the same situation with a mouse until about 10 mins ago. Well similar shall we say. Yesterday I went to grab something off the counter and there was mouse turd on my window sill right in front of the sink. UGGG The though of that little frigger running around on my counter grosses me out. So Moose set mouse traps with no hits this morning. Moose just emailed from work and asked if I was sure it was turd and not coffee grinds. I assured him it was mouse turd. He wrote back a few moments ago and said I know exactly what it was lupin seeds!!!! I'd had them in a jar beside the sink. He needed the jar for something and threw them on the window sill...... MEN!

A tweedy dress sounds might fine!!!

Chris said...

I was going to suggest something thin and stiff to put under the colander, too. A stiff drink first would help, too. Great haircut! I'm still trying to fathom your stash issue. I wish I was closer to that situation. Happy new year!

Vanilla said...

Hi Thea,

Thanks for answering. I will try to find it online, since I live in Brazil and we don't have such beautiful colours here.
I love your designs and especially the colors you use.
Vanilla

Maureen said...

Thea if you NEED yarn .....Just ask
I love your designs< I just dont know which one to start with!!!

greenmtnknitter

Susan said...

Hi!
Delurking to say that finding a stiff piece of cardboard or a cutting mat might do the trick. We had a similar issue one summer night with a small bat that had somehow made its way into the house. It was on a wall in the upstairs hall. We put the lights on to blind it and managed to get a small box over it - much like your colander. Then we slid some stiff cardboard under the box and carried the whole thing outside. I don't want to ever have to do it again, but that system worked like a charm!

Anna said...

:O! Looks cute, but have you abandoned me?!

Hubby said...

1) There is no such thing as mouse. I am sure this "tail" has another chapter.

2) You left the yarn for my scarf out of your stash and I am still waiting.

3) Nice do! You available?

diana said...

Love the haircut!! And what's this talk about a knit dress?

thao said...

That's a great haircut, Thea!

Kym said...

Your hair looks great, Thea! You kinda look like some . . . movie star. . . behind that camera!

Your mouse story sounds like the story of our stuck-hummingbird. Brian and Tom finally (successfully) freed him with two carefully placed lacrosse sticks!

Melissa said...

Love the hair!

caro said...

The hair looks CUTE! Can't wait to see it in person.

Turtle said...

it looks cute! love the fiberlicious goods, rip, moment of silence for mousie...

Hilary said...

Ewwww...ick! The MOUSE, not the haircut -- the haircut is fabulous. I'm impressed that you guys got him under the colander! At least he's out of the house now...

Happy New Year and I can't wait to see what new designs 2011 brings!

yoel said...

RIP meowsie! (as my cat would say).

Love the spontaneous haircut!

Andi said...

Your haircut looks fantastic! It looks young and fresh. I look forward to the new designs you will be creating in 2011. BTW one of my goals this year includes a sweater that goes by the name of Nantucket Red. :)

Zonda said...

I love your new cut! That's the way you had to do it, walk in and say "do it"

We recently got rid of mousies in the garage...ugh...all the stuff I had to get rid of..it's all their fault we started to declutter ;)

Renee said...

great haircut!!
darned mice...