Friday, January 07, 2011

First, thanks so much for all the comments! I'm getting used to my new hair, and happily playing with the new yarn.


Above is the Cascade 220, working its way into a top down pullover. My head's thinking it's going to be something to wear to a beach picnic in April or May, when it's still a little too cold to swim, but you can hang out and play on the sand. Funny how the "where to wear it" image is coming to me first, and the design is kind of following, but hey. Whatever works, and I'm game to just follow along. This is going to be a sweater for cutoffs, Converse and a can of beer on a blanket. I'm thinking it'll be called Naragansett, since that's our canned beer of choice when we hit the beach. Makes me want summer right about now, even though we're sharpening the shovels for another snowfall tonight!

So anyways, I have no idea what it'll finally be like, but that's how it's going to go. So far, I have a fun little cable, some twisted rib, and a nice boaty wide neckline. Successful yarn purchase is what I'm thinking, as it got the wheels turning, and a spitball finally stuck. I'm about halfway down the raglan shaping and pretty satisfied with it.

So happy in fact, that all the sudden, my stray skeins of tweed and my leftover 400yds of Kathmandu have arranged themselves into two little piles that want to turn into smallish colorwork projects. I have the strange urge to begin working on these guys today, and am having fun researching color ideas -- even though I had a conversation with Amy last night about how I never do colorwork. Don't like it. All those strands. A mess. And yet, here I am today staring a these two piles and dying to do some colorwork.

I'm going to blame either the stash inventory from my last post, which got me thinking about what to do with all the stray tweeds, or the fact that I threw the gauntlet down and now have to pay the piper.

Should a knitter never say never? Will we inevitably succumb to what we haven't done? Just the urge to prove I can? Climb that mt. because it's there? My big mouth?

Either way, again, I think I'll go with it as soon as I'm done here.

And, in the spirit of combining things that maybe didn't need to go together, I may try to mess with these two tonight. Southern Comfort and Regan's Orange Bitters.

Again, dont' know why, but it's begging to be done. The wine fairy's wife is coming over, while the 6th grade gals go ice skating at the Friday Night Free Skate (Is that kind of funny? We used to roller skate in the 70s...wearing our flare jeans with combs in the pocket, some suspenders and a collection of little buttons, right??) and she's good game for a little cocktail challenge. If it doesn't fly, the SoCo will be replaced by burbon and everyone will be happy.

11 comments:

Seanna Lea said...

Your new sweater is looking good. Of course, it doesn't hurt that it is in blue!

Patty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patty said...

Southern Comfort Manhattan with orange slice...yum. Have a great weekend!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

I love the mental image of your new knit! Can't wait to see it finished.

Zonda said...

I'm liking that color knit up. Oh, I said never to lace...I haven't used "laceweight" but still knitting lace LOL..yeah don't say never ;)

karen said...

Why not a SC old fashioned?

Laurie said...

Utility as a driver sounds fine to me! The new hair looks good...is it a keeper?

Some things will never be done by me (intarsia, entrelac) but some things, despite fiddliness (colorwork) are FUN. If you don't like it, you can rip it right out.

Mad For Knit said...

My 2 cents? Toss those colorwork colors around again unless you're going for a blended look. I think a green needs to be with those purples

Renee said...

your thought process makes total sense to me - we buy garments with a plan of what they'll be worn for, so why not knit with that same intention?

...love green with purple, I agree with mad for knit

Turtle said...

lol, and our rollerskates looked like sneakers and had 4 wheels, side by side!

Ellen said...

Athletes visualize successful feats. Knitters should too. Your visualization sure beats throwing a javelin or executing a triple twisting back flip. I'm going to try your exercise.