Monday, February 14, 2011


I am so damn happy with myself today.


As the amount of knitting around my house has increased, the amount of exercise has waned. Projects are addictive, even without the deadlines and and the design gig, but the designing means there's a little backlog even when I'm chugging along. And that makes it even harder to put down the current project and hmm...I don't know... assume the plank position or do a batch of situps(??) when I know I can now justify knitting the entire morning away.

Kicking the laundry and cleaning to the curb is one thing (kinda nice), but losing the exercise has been another, as the consequences are a little more personal. Let's admit it, the knitting is a bit sedentary, and really, things aren't what they used to be once winter cuts into the amount of incidental exercise happening around the sitting - the walking and gardening and other outdoor actuvity. It's all over as soon as the fire's on and the sofa calls, you know?

But now? Problem solved. My neighbor gave me this yesterday and because on this little baby, I can knit AND do completely brainless exercise at the same time. A notebook and pencils go on the table, and yarn goes in the cup holder.

It's genius, I tell you.

And it's not a moment too soon, because I need to put on a bathing suit NEXT WEEK.

12 comments:

Chris said...

Exactly why I love my recumbent bike - it has two cup holders and a magazine holder - plus a book stand on the front - you'll love it!

Ness said...

Brilliant!

Seanna Lea said...

I need to get comfortable walking and knitting, because I have a treadmill. I figure that if I am walking on it, I should at least be able to knit a sock (hey, I knit standing up on the train, so it shouldn't be that hard).

I just cannot run on the treadmill and knit, which is my preferred exercise. Maybe I should find a way to practice that.

Holli said...

Genius!

Edwige Donlan said...

Nicely done!

Kym said...

There you go! Perfect!

Turtle said...

lol, luv it! I am not able to knit and exercise together. Mostly due to sweating on the fiber! :)

cseneque said...

This is so great! You're one clever lady.

Peaceful Knitter said...

Genius, indeed!

Shannon said...

I tried the same thing in the downstairs gym (so, in public). Only one man was working out and to my relief he said he was quite amazed I could multi-task like that. I did mess up a few times on more complex rows, but over-all it was a success. Maybe there should be a name for this kind of knitting: Biknitting, Pedalknitting, Sweatyknitting, hmmm...

Kathleen said...

I so need that! There has been some pound acquisition on my frame, yet there is so much knitting to be done.

Anonymous said...

My husband's office has work stations where you walk at a slow pace and there is a work surface for laptop, etc. I think you could easily knit this way. A Mayo physician has his office set up this way, and he says a slow pace for an extended amount of time is very beneficial. It's more a slow stroll....