Tuesday, March 08, 2011


The dryer sock elves have found my mitten and hat bin. I was gathering mittens today for a trunk show this weekend (more on that below), only to find I have ONE of each mitten or glove in my collection. One. WTF??? See, two the lonely mittens below.


And NO Sidecars. Which is baffling, since I had them in there just a few weeks ago. All my hats and scarves and cowls are still there. But the mittens, they be missing. I shall have no pie.

I'm wondering if a child related to me thinks this is amusing and has hidden them. Or maybe it's time to look under the seats in the car and check all the recyclable bags to see if I shoved them in there at the supermarket.... I know they aren't lying anywhere in the house, because the whole damn joint has been cleaned, painted, spackled, sanded and generally gone through, in preparation for house selling. Bad news.

The good news is that we're almost done on the house buying end. Our P&S is about to be signed in a few hours. I know Phase Two of the New House is just about to begin, and there will be a crapton more of shit to do, but I'll have a week or two lull ahead, where I can either knit new mittens or work on the next couple of designs before that hits. In the meantime, I'll need to keep things clean and clear out. Which leaves knitting time. I am soooo leaning towards the new designs. Secret yarn should be in the mail, and Plucky is in the works.

On that note, see below - Moody Broody #2, Naragansett. I'm about to do the math and get a test pattern out the door by next week. Here's a hinty shot in the meantime.


For those of you in the Boston area, the actual Naragansett sweater in the photo might be joining me in Salem on Saturday. I've been asked to participate in the North Shore Yarn Crawl this year, and will be at Seed Stitch Fine Yarns in Salem, MA from about 3:30-5 on Saturday afternoon (3/12). I'll have all my sweater and accessory samples with me (minus the missing mittens, if they don't turn up....), and maybe some cocktail fixings if Courtney says OK. Must remember to ask Courtney about bringing booze.......

Seed Stitch is a really charming shop, right in downtown Salem, by the Peabody Essex Museum and the main walking street. I've been there before and am excited to go back and visit as part of the afternoon's entertainment. I'd love to meet some of you in person, so do come by if you have some free time and are nearby on Saturday afternoon.

In the meantime, happy knitting, and if I disappear blogwise, know it's only because I'm kicked out of my house while prospective buyers go through my drawers. Trust that I'm knitting away at the local coffeeshop.




12 comments:

Tanya said...

Hope they have wi-fi at the coffee shop.

I'm intrigued by the "secret yarn" that is in the mail.

Hope your house sells fast and for lots of money.

:)

Mad For Knit said...

Good luck this weekend. Sorry I can't come! I'd love to see how those sleeves turned out.

Chris said...

I don't envy you about moving house (I detest it so much told my husband the next time I move it's to the old folks' home). I wish you lots of good luck!

Kristen said...

Ohh, I wish I could come to your trunk show, but California is so far away!

Ness said...

Too bad about the mitts! I hope they turn up. I love the idea of a bin! I have an outdoor-knitwear pile in my entryway. My bunnies have been awfully nice about not running off with anything (or destroying it, for that matter). Good luck with the trunk show and the house selling!

Kym said...

When I end us with just one of a pair (of socks, mittens, or gloves), I call them "Lonely Guys" and put them in a wicker basket. . . so they can wait for their "mate" to show up and make a match again. Sometimes. . . they never find their mate. Hope you have a great show -- with no "Lonely Guys."

Seanna Lea said...

We sold our condo almost 2 years ago to move into a house and I still can vividly remember the annoyances and joys of moving into the house. Hopefully your P&S and selling will all continue smoothly.

Also if I don't have any plans for Saturday evening I might try to head up to Salem for the trunk show. I attended your trunk show at Snow Goose, but it has been a while and I'd love to see your new designs.

Turtle said...

are you sure you didn't just have one mitten each for some photos, while working on another pattern or for a semi trunk show?

Would love to join you in salem, been so long since i have been there and love the peabody as well! Boo hoo so far away! have fun!

Hubby and i traveled 3 hours south last week friday to play in portland or's yarn crawl. Had a blast!

Kathleen said...

Wish I could be at Seed Stitch, but we're not getting up to Cambridge until Sunday. Have fun! Also, I knit up a pair of Sidecars (made the cuff longer and didn't do the under-cuff, since I wanted to wear them NOW) in Malabrigo Silky Merino - love them! I will post a picture soon, I promise. Good luck with the house stuff.

Hilary said...

It *had* to be one of your girls...had to. Either that or there's some mitten eating fairy in your house (maybe don't mention that to any potential buyers).

Kristin said...

Agh! I used to live in Salem and pine for it daily. Now I'm doubly bummed not to live there! Would suggest you stop in at my favorite watering hole, but it is closed for the season and won't open 'til April.

Have fun at beautiful Seed Stitch!

Shannon said...

The story of your lost mittens reminds me that I want to attach i-cords to all mittens and tie them together when not in use.
Or maybe a button system? Because what do you do when the i-cords are untied and dangling...there has got to be some cute idea out there for this exact situation...Ravelry search here I come.