Sunday, April 03, 2011

It's finally shaping up to look a little like spring around here. Plants are peeking out of the ground, I've worn flip flops twice, and I changed my comforter last night from the ginormous hugely fluffy one to a less ginourmous, moderately puffy one. Things have that slightly greener tinge about them, and the trees have the purple glow they get before the buds.

I know new things are right around the corner - Don' t you have that "just hang on" feeling too?


Sometimes a new toy makes the waiting go a little quicker though. See what my Mom got me for my birthday? It's my very own dressmaker dummy! She's pinnable and roughly my size, so now when I want to see if something works, I don't have to crane my neck around in Maya's mirror anymore, while standing on a milk crate.

I know you are all sad not to see more bad pictures of half my body in the pink and orange room, face covered by the camera, and legs cut off below, but look how much better this is going to be:

;-)

The light's great up in my office, too, where she lives. Way better than Maya's room - so there's a chance that, overall, the WIP photo quality around here could go up in the next few months. And then I move the whole operation to the lovely paneled space you saw a few posts back.

You can also tell it's almost spring because that up there is a delicate little cotton garment that she's modeling for me. It's just about done, right on time for the last bits of snow to melt off the front yard this afternoon. I have some neckline details that need tending to, and a bit of writing ahead, but there's light at the end of that particular tunnel too.


While the snow was melting, I worked that neckline with a Gin and Tonic nearby. This time it got a little sliced apple and muddled cilantro, which was very refreshing and tasty. Not as crisp as the summer version - that was a G&T with cucumber and dill - but I'll call this a spring version and recommend it highly. A little sweeter and the cilantro adds a bit of tang.

Give it a try!



Before I sign off, I'll also show you a couple of skeins from my latest batch of Plucky, which arrived in the mail last week. I am dying to get going with this stuff! It's Plucky Primo, in Barely Birch. This is an amazing shade of gray - it almost has a shine to it, but there's no actual sheen. It's all in the colors that she picked. Genius, she is. I have an idea what these want to be, but will finish up the spring designs first.

If I can wait..

13 comments:

TheOtherSarah said...

Jealous of the dummy, she's very perky isn't she? ;-) Seasons moving the other way for me, I pulled out our big boofy feather duvet in the weekend, and I've worn socks once or twice!

Kristen said...

This little white sweater looks so lovely. I can't wait until it's on my needles.

Tante J said...

I am DYING for a dressmakers dummy! Happy Birthday! And that sweet little top is just the thing to take us through the transition into spring.

Kym said...

Perfect. In every way.

Holli said...

Ah, Thea - I'm jealous of your dress maker's dummy ... what a fun gift from your Mom.

And the photo of the tulips is GORGEOUS!

QuiltedSimple said...

Oh lovely lovely tank....i cannot wait - i am so tired of knitting heavy wintery sweaters:)
Kris

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Happy Birthday! Great gift from your mom, I'm sure you will get a ton of use from it! I love G&T's so I'll have to try to apple slices and muddled cilantro.

Renee said...

love the dress form! serious envy here...
also jealous of your spring preview, it's cold and snowing here right now
Sarah is absolutely GENIUS, nothing sweeter than plucky, 'cept mabye a babycocktails pattern knit in plucky goodness. schmooooze. :-)

knittingmydayaway.com said...

I want my own dummy too!! And I LOVE your yellow table, I want it!!

Johanna

yoel said...

What are you going to name your dummy? The naming is the best part!

Kathleen said...

OK, that Plucky yarn looks awesome. And I'm so jealous of your dressform, though I'm not sure where I would put one in my apartment.

Lindsey @ Yarnia said...

So jealous! I use an old school dressform that I scored at a garage sale in Seattle a few years back, but it's definitely not as sleek and yours (plus it's missing the bottom of the stand so I have to come up with some serious makeshift ways to make it stand up without gouging holes in various pieces of furniture!)

Seanna Lea said...

I've been looking for a dressmaker's dummy for months. It's definitely on my top 10 list of crafting tools.