Friday, August 26, 2011

I'm up at 6am so I can write a post before the house gets invaded by men and tools and sawdust again.

Really,
though, I'm up at 6am so I can make coffee on my New Stove that was hooked up yesterday where I can finally boil water for the first time this summer. I can walk around my kitchen without a bra, in my Jersey Freeze tee shirt and my flamingo jammie bottoms before The Guys show up. And the computer is here, so I figured I could say hi while doing so. To be honest, I don't suppose the men would even care or notice if I did walk around this way, since it's not much of a departure from the thousand year old "It's Salsa" tee shirt and paint-spattered shorts they usually see me in. However, I have to draw the line somewhere, as I'm an example for two growing daughters, and dabble in clothing design. And, one of the workmen is kind of cute. Maya actually says 2 are cute, but she can walk around in her jammies and it's not so scary.

It's been a long time since I puttered around my kitchen half awake. It feels good. Unfortunately, we have to get out One More Time this weekend and live at a friends' overnight, but after that, I plan on never leaving. Except for Rhinebeck. And maybe SPA this year, or even TNNA. We'll see. As this place shapes up, I realize I'm going to love it. The girls have made friends and Zoe has learned to ride her bike, and we are getting settled and finding our way around. We also hooked up the TV two days ago, and that makes it feel homey too.

I have found my knitting, and am working my way down a sleeve. This is big progress. For much of the summer, I worked on a cardigan, and when the cardigan was done, I decided that the yarn and the construction were all wrong. So, I am working my way through the same cardigan a second time - in teeny spurts when I have a surface to sit on and an area free of plaster and dust. However, round 2 is top down and knit in Ultra Alpaca, which is always a crowd pleaser, and it goes rather quickly. I try not to think of all the wasted time spent on version 1. I'm thinking a few more Seinfeld Reruns at 11pm and I should have the sleeves done - which means I need to set up a desk to write on next...

So that's the update from inside the house -- from outside, though, is a bit of news that anyone living in the greater Winchester area just might want to know about. (Lean in, ladies....)

Outside my house, only a few blocks away, right between the two wine and liquor shops in town, a friend of mine is involved in OPENING A YARN SHOP. The space is big. Plus, this friend knows what she is doing. I have already had my nose plastered against the glass, bottle of wine in hand, a few times. My hopes that I'd be invited in to unpack and have a few drinks have not been realized yet, but I'm sure it's only because my timing has been off and they have not been taking things out of the giant boxes on the floor when I happened to swing by. Or maybe they were in the back or something.

Maybe they didn't recognize me, hair in a thousand clips, covered in green spatters, with my dirty salsa tee shirt and painty shorts, clutching my booze, and ignoring the two children behind me - who were probably bored and arguing at the time. Because, really, who would pass up that kind of a good time, had they been there?

Anyways, I had hopes of sweater and house photos, but the camera is somewhere that is not here, and I only have a few minutes left of braless, tee-shirted joy before I need to make myself presentable.

Thanks for sticking with me over this long and knit-less summer, I promise that things will begin getting back to normal next week - and that the designs are still in the works for fall. I'll blog again soon with pictures of yarn and home, and maybe I'll Kinnear the yarn shop window for you - that'll really make them want to invite me in, right?

(PS. how cool is it that Kinnearing is in wikipedia with S.P.M's photo next to it?)

11 comments:

Marlena said...

Ha ha ha! That final image of you at the future yarn store cracked me up!

Liz said...

This yarn shop owner does know her clientele-between two wine shops? Excellent! Is she planning on having a BYO knit night? As a Melrose resident, I might be persuaded to come out for a BYO knit night.... just saying.

Holli said...

Wow, Thea! Congrats on all the house progress and HOW exciting about a new yarn shop in Winchester between two wine shops! Heaven helps us all!

Seanna Lea said...

I have this hilarious image of you as completely winoed out with the paper bag covered open booze.

Of course, if a yarn shop was opening between two chocolate shops around me I'd be doing the same thing only with chocolate smears at the corners of my mouth.

Kim said...

LOLOL you crack me up! And how PERFECT! TWO wine shops AND a yarn shop....near your house!? Awesome! Have a great day!

QuiltedSimple said...

How perfect! Enjoy the house!
Kris

Luise said...

Thanks for the Wikipedia link --that's some write-up about SPM. And it's good to hear about a new yarn shop. Living in Cambridge, I'm not totally deprived, but Winchester's an easy hop and skip, so I look forward to more news.

Happy settling in -- just in time for the new school year. Enjoy.

Kym said...

You make me laugh! :-)

Hilary said...

A yarn shop in between two wine/liquor stores?! My goodness, that sounds like paradise.

Carolyn said...

New yarn shop! New yarn shop! As a resident of Medford, I am keenly interested in future developments (is this the place that's on that side street with the Black Horse Tavern on the corner?).

Anonymous said...

Nope, Carolyn. That place is closing. This is over by Breuggers and Pairings, just off the traffic circle in the center! But not far from the Tavern at alll.....