Friday, September 02, 2011




 Is where I am.     This sweater is looking a lot more like I want it to after the second knit through, but it's still not perfect.   I am considering a third yarn choice, or maybe a few different design decisions through the body.   We'll see what I end up with, but I'm getting a little peeved with the whole thing.  Grrrrr.  I blame the fact that I am not completely in the game yet.   There is still too much that I need to get done, and to be honest, this knitting thing is hard to do when the rest of our lives are up in the air.  Every time I pick up the needles, I'm actually thinking about what else I need to be doing, and that isn't exactly good for the cardigan in hand, if you know what I mean...    

Out in the world, I'm also close... but not exactly there.   It's a little weird to meet new people as a grownup!  The kids have it all set up so the teachers and the activities they do in their classes foster new buddies, and both of the girls have already made new friends and seem to be settled with their new classes.  The little one is setting up playdates for next week, and the big one has gone out after both school days with new kids.   Me, not so much.  Turns out a giant group of moms standing around a school,  who all know each other is a bit overwhelming,  when you stand on the outside of it.   Who knew?    I'm lucky enough to have a couple of neighbors who I can stand next to so I don't look entirely as uncomfortable as I feel, and my contractor called while I was waiting alone yesterday so I kept him on the phone longer than he ever wanted to be talking to me for a little distraction, which was convenient.   Am guessing the situation will be very different in a few weeks, but for now, it's a little weird. 

I also managed to mess with the one new friend I met.   In my old town,  my buddies knew I was terrible with schedules and such and usually kept me on track with where I had to be when.   Here I'm on my own.  So I was all ready to go to the New Parent Coffee yesterday, and had even remembered to remind my One New Friend beforehand.   She had no idea about it and had to work, but hey.   Dressed in non paint-y clothing AND on time, I went over to the school for the meeting and didn't see anybody, so I asked at the office.  The receptionist had no idea what I was talking about but mentioned that there was another parent looking for the same meeting outside the office, so maybe he knew.   I trot off to meet another new friend and figure out where the meeting is.   The Other Parent was the husband of the woman I'd told about said meeting, who had called in and missed work to be at school, because she couldn't change her schedule.   And yep, you've already guessed this part - the meeting is not only next week, but it's at my other daughter's school, so the cat's out of the bag on me being an idiot already.  A bit earlier than I'd intended.

Truth be told, he was pretty nice about it and when I said I owe him a beer, he responded with "I'm thinking two...".   So he and his wife might be exactly my kind of peeps, right?   I hope he didn't have to miss anything too important.  



Something I did do right this week was paint.   Yesterday was the first full day of school, so once I got back from my Not A Meeting, I found my painty clothes and got to work.   My new dining room feels a little like my old dining room now.  But not exactly.

14 comments:

Seanna Lea said...

I love your paint job. It looks elegant and quiet. A calming place to work, eat, etc.

Chris said...

Aww. I know that weird feeling at the school. Because I work fulltime, I'm dropping kids off an hour before school starts, so on the rare occasion I'm there right at 9 or 3:30 with all the hubbub I realize even though I "know" all these parents peripherally I'm not really in the clique. I'm sure you'll get to know people soon and they'll adore you as we do!

Turtle said...

Love the blue color! I also know about being a bit on the outside of things. We moved so often with hubby being military. And if we weren't moving then he was going from one command to another, always making for a brand new group of folks. (hmmm, even as a DOD worker it seems to be happening lately, lol) Things will settle down soon and you will feel more in the groove of life again. Not to worry! :) The mojo is returning soon!

Dani said...

Great colour choice Thea! I know what you mean about feeling like your life is in a bit of a snowglobe, and feeling like you are on the outside of things. It was really weird for a while when I moved from Toronto to Virginia. Totally different culture, new house, totally new people. The great part is that it always get easier as time goes on.

As for the messed up schedule, just think of it as pre-screening. If they freaked out about it, they are not the kind of people you want to get to know anyway!

juicyknits said...

Awww. Well, maybe you do have beer with them and make friends this way? So off to mess more schedules!

Zonda said...

Love that wall color! Hang in there, I'm sure it'll get better! :)

Ellen Mason said...

Something that has not changed is the gal you are in the Community of Knit. So glad you're here.

Anonymous said...

Hubby...

Guess I don't have to feel guilty about not being able to make the new parent coffee!

mommyknits said...

Awww Thea ... I also know how you feel with the new school(s) & unfamiliar surroundings. Your house looks great, & the blue of the sweater does too. Enjoy knitting for itself, & remember like Ellen said, we all love you for yourself!

Meredith said...

I know how you feel! We moved over the summer, too, and being new messes with everything in your life. The first couple weeks we were here, I nearly had a fender bender *every* time I was in the grocery store parking lot. Like, every single time for three weeks. There are so many little things in life that you take for granted and do without thinking until every single little thing is brand spanking new. All this is so exhausting that you can't function at your normal level, let alone do really hard things like make friends and get organized for a new school year.

So congrats on getting a few things done right this week! That's huge! And someday you will look around and say, "Huh. I'm home."

Hilary said...

Yes, yes, yes. I totally know what you mean with knitting progress being halted by distraction. I'm having a hell of a time figuring out an edging for a shawl I'm currently knitting because I keep stressing out about going back to work in a couple of weeks. And I SO know what you mean about meeting new friends as an adult! Since moving to San Francisco after college 8 years ago, I have made some new friends, but most of the folks I hang out with I know from childhood (seriously, I need to branch out). But you have such a cool personality, I'm sure you'll know a ton of people in no time. And lastly (because this is the longest post ever)...your paint looks beautiful!

MLES said...

You post hit so close to home. When we moved to our new town and house, I felt like such an outsider. New schools, new schedules. Things will all come together in time. Hang in there!

Susan Voegtly - CintiSue said...

May I bug you for the yarn color if your WIP? I really want something in an indigo color - and I'm too lazy to want to dye it!
Good luck - with other 'rents - painting is great!

Cheryl said...

Heh... I've been reading your blog for about two years now, but I think this is the post that will pull a comment from me.

We recently moved to our new community last year, and I so know about the mom group thing. Even a year later it's a bit awkward; the parents I talk to the most are also the ones who are new here as well. Being sick an pregnant last year and missing all the vents did nothing to help. It gets better, but I've found it's not quite as easy to make friends now as it was when we were younger (aHEM!)... parents of kids with full schedules, well, they're a busy group. But I also find when it does happen, the connections are pretty immediate. I guess it's also easier to filter "kindred spirits" with our greater level of experience. ;-)

Good luck with everything! I'll commiserate with you on moving events as soon as we move into our new home and get our internet up and running! ;-)