Friday, September 09, 2011


I've actually made a few this week!  I had a few rum and tonics, and then a few rum and ginger ales.  I now need more tonic and ginger ale, but the car is in the shop, so that has to wait. 

This one's lemon vodka, cranberry soda with a slice of apple and lime in the glass, plus a generous squirt of lime to make up for the sweet soda.  It seems appropriate for the beginning of fall, right?  Still too hot to want cider and burbon, so this is cold and icy, but uses cranberries!  (And I found this bottle of soda in a box, so really, why not use it?)  It would work just as well with cranberry juice and seltzer or soda water, and it wouldn't be so sweet. 

You might notice the kitchen in the background.  Ahem.



My two favorite parts are visible from this angle -- the wine rack AND the stove.  Sometime in the future, we will be adding a backsplash above the cooktop, but for now we are not interested in thinking about another thing, and a leak in the roof is costing us a surprise $7,000 (the fun never stops!), so the extra tilework will just have to wait.   In the meantime, we've made pancakes, pie, baked ziti, numerous eggs, grilled cheese... and the list goes on.  It feels good to cook again!   The contractors left yesterday, and we're hoping the porto potty follows soon.   For now, we still own the half bath on the lawn - and it could come in handy, as the 27th Annual Block Party is tomorrow on our street.  We'll see if anyone decides to give it a go. 

I have high hopes for this neighborhood - they put a keg in someone's garage, and we all bring our lawn chairs out on the street. 


I plan on bringing a little knitting with me for the afternoon and ignoring the kids as they cruise around the party.   I have found another cable I love, and the swatch is good.  I keep getting stuck on the neckline, and cannot seem to decide what it is I want it to be yet.   I am torn between a slouchy short sleeved number with a straight neckline, a vest, a more basic cowlneck, or a  3/4 sleeve boatneck like Narragansett.   Too many options for one little swatch!

Preferences?  I need to decide before two new packages arrive this week. 
One will contain Quince and Co's Osprey and the other is from Plucky!

11 comments:

Tante J said...

Well, we haven't seen a vest yet and I was hankering for a cabled vest pattern just yesterday! And as for the Osprey, I just finished up a pullover in that and LOVED working with it!

Katinka said...

I thought of you when I was at my Ross last week -- they had several packages of "Cocktail Hour" Jelly Bellies. ;)

nook. said...

quince & co. ANd plucky?! you lucky girl you! also i love your kitchen! and those drinks sound yummy. i need to have my classes fill up, so i can also fill up our liquor cabinet. that and make more wine ;)

Dani said...

Your kitchen is gorgeous Thea! Fabulous colour choices.

I say vest - I would love to have a new vest for fall :)

chichimama.com said...

I'm going to buck the trend and say cowl neck, I have been looking for a good cowl neck pattern!

Love the kitchen, you give me hope that someday mine will be done!

Wendy Hanson said...

great kitchen - would love to see a vest

Anonymous said...

Vest for me, too -- with something not too heavy and not to bulky in the cables -- more flat -- wearable under a jacket for an extra layer. Midmittenknitter

terriw said...

The kitchen is charming. We are at the tail end of a long kitchen remodel and the ability to stand and cook in your own kitchen without drywall dust clinging to everything can not be overstated.

magli840 said...

For once it's not your knitting that has me captivated, but the kitchen. LOVE. If you're not familar with designer Sarah Richardson you should be, you're her design twin I swear it. Really nice job. On the swatch, too.......

Mary said...

a cable-y vest would be great for fall! (as would cooler temps to bring out bourbon cocktails!)

Anonymous said...

Just bought Drambuie for exactly that reason....winter cocktails a coming!